Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
69,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
How many guys have oil temperature guages in their boats?I don't and wonder if I should install one.

What guage set-up do most guys have.

I have,speedo,tach,oil pressure,water temp,hour ,trim,and depth.

and a volt guage,forgot about that till I was on the boat today:confused:

·
Premium Member
4,913 Posts
At 170 water temp-the oil temp shouldn't be too bad. Maybe one of our mech forum guys can put a temp gauge on the engine without running it to the dash and give us an idea. Or, a color code temp strip stuck to outside of the pan. Stuchamp or others should know the correct name for them. One stuck to the outdrive also would be inteesting.

Teague, who should know, prefers a straight 40 in moderate climes and a straight 50 wt. in hot zones-like out west. He supports Kendall-and prefers it to a synthetic like Mobile One for the engine. I think Merc reccomends a change every 25 hours on the blue motors-the 377 Scorpions for sure. Follow that and the syn would get expensive. An oil lubes, which reduces friction and heat, but also serves as the engine trash can, carrying away metal from wear and carbon from combustion. Frequent changes are good-especially in a marine environment and cheap pm.He does say that a synthetic gear lube will really reduce heat in the drive train.

With any straight weight oil-a good low idle warm up is absolutely necessary for good engine life. Can't start and go wide open on cold-heavy oil. Both the engine and the first mate require an adequate warm up prior to high speed operation.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
A little information never hurt anyone. Oil temperature and water pressure gauges are a must and yeas they will probably give you some grief. The water pressure gauge will give you some indication if the impeller is going and can save you from an overheat when the impeller goes totally away. If you ever run a Poker Run you will be surprised how helpful the oil temp is. I was running next to a 38' Fountain for about 30 minutes without lifting. I finally backed out when the oil got to 250 degrees. The 38 backed out as soon as I did. About 10 minutes later we were both at full throttle again. Are boats were exactly the same mph. When we got to the lunch stop we discussed oil temp. He was very happy I had backed down. His temp was showing 280.:eek: Of course I know a couple guys on this board who would have backed down much sooner. NOT!!!!:D

Dan

·
Registered
12,231 Posts
I took a clock out of the formula I am restoring, and I was thinking of moving the hour meter to that side (passenger) and putting an oil temp guage in. After all, the last thing I need to know when I'm in the boat is what time it is!:D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.