Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am addinding an actuator to my hatch. How do you accesses you hatch if the battery goes dead and how do you kill the battery switch if the hatch is close? Anyone have pic of how there actuator is mounted.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Its kind of hard to pull that pin but with two people it will come out. Just have to make sure that it does not close too tight. I also have a accessory plug under the dash that can power the dash in a pinch. The pull pin is there in case the ram fails.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
satman said:
Its kind of hard to pull that pin but with two people it will come out. Just have to make sure that it does not close too tight. I also have a accessory plug under the dash that can power the dash in a pinch. The pull pin is there in case the ram fails.
Another good Idea

·
Registered
700 Posts
Accuator

One option is putting a small deckplate under your rear hatch cushion to reach through and pull a quick-release pin or through-bolt. Another option is the battery switch under the rear seat, with the power wire for the accuator coming directly from the battery switch or battery. A third option is a small hinged "scissor" bracket installed under the bottom of the hatch, where the top of the accuator attaches, that allows you to open the hatch only a few inches, being just enough to allow you to slide your hand under the front of the hatch, to reach the battery on/off switch. Scarabs back in the 80's used this bracket design. Another option is using a cordless battery from one of your drills, etc., and two short pieces of wire, and touch them to the accuators corresponding terminal block OR dash switch up front at the helm, and the accuator will open. It does not have to be a 12 volt battery, it can be an older 9.6 volt, 12 volt, 18 volt, etc. Having a hot & cold wire directly from the battery, wired to two stud terminals with protective caps on them, under your rear seat, or to a location of your choice, is another option. Been there, done that.

·
Registered
795 Posts
I saw on a friends old boat a slotted pvc pipe. Slips over the ram and bolts to the hatch. Slots in the PVC where the bolt for the ram would bolt up to. This way you can lift the hatch a few inches to pull the pin.
I thought about doing this to mine in case the ram would ever go out.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
bajacleveland said:
I saw on a friends old boat a slotted pvc pipe. Slips over the ram and bolts to the hatch. Slots in the PVC where the bolt for the ram would bolt up to. This way you can lift the hatch a few inches to pull the pin.
I thought about doing this to mine in case the ram would ever go out.
That’s funny…..that’s what I am making out of SS pipe. I got the idea from seeing an adjustment sleeve for an actuator. I am making mine 6" long with a 4" long slot so I can lift it if needed. This is what I like about this forum there are so many talented people here.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.