Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner

Head Gasket help

802 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  insptech 
#1 ·
I had a leaking head gasket. It was leaking from the water port out. We pulled the heads and are ready to get parts. It's an '81 Mercruiser 350. The head gaskets that where in it where part # GM6289577. There where only small hole where the water passages are instead of the whole passage being open. Is that normal? I called the local auto parts store. They said I would have to get gaskets from Mercuiser. Can anyone help me and tell me what I need for head gaskets? I plan on getting the heads planed and possibly magnafluxed. Also do I need new head bolts? Am I missing anything?

The motor is in great shape other than this.

Thanks Brian

P.S. Thanks Wildchild212 and Thirsty Turtle for the help. I won't forget it.

:) :) :)

#2 ·
Cain...

send a private message to MAXPERF. He's a local buddy of mine and rigs boats and build engines. He's got a really nice shop and can probably give you some pointers. My only suggestions would be to get the head placed, but you've already got that covered.

- jeff

#3 ·
They do that to restrict water flow to the heads in marine engines. If full water flow is allowed it will cool the combustion chambers and cause uneven combustion and poor performance-esp in cold weather. It can also cause more carbon fouling. If you are leaving the engine stock then use the stock Merc gaskets or the Sierra equivalent.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.