Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do the majority of you guys use? Marine ones or no? I boat only in Freshwater so I dont know if that makes a differance or not. I've had great experience with Felpro 1003's on all my SBC buildups. Felpro makes a gasket which is 40 a piece that has a stainless core and I see that GM sells their gaskets with a stainless core for 17 bucks. These come stock on the new MerCruiser motors. Are the GM ones any good? (I suppose as my motors still ok with them.) Big price differance though.... Always gets me wondering.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I used to always use the Felpro with the stainless core, but have recently switched to Cometics. Almost everyone on here seems to recommend them so that is what I switched to. Really dont know much about them but have not had a problem, and hear great things about them.

·
383 Mouse Powered 80.5GPS
682 Posts
I've always used Felpro copper 1010's as they don't brinell the aluminum heads. I've never had a problem using them in freshwater. On the new 385ci I built last winter I used a 1014 Stainless marine set as this setup might see some limited salt water.

Preperation is key when installing headgaskets. Don't prep right and the best will go bad. I like the MLS style, Cometic, Felpro and Mr. Gasket all have them and use them on my LS1 builds.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts