Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, So Last year i replaced my stock fuel pump on my chevy 454 in my baja. I put on a holley 130 gph pump. Ran good for the rest of the year. About a week ago the fuel pressure gauge drops down to 0. I took off the line, no fuel would come out when i cranked her over. SOOO i put a new fuel pump in. The same fuel pump, holley. I used it for a total of 4 hours and now i lost fuel pressure again!!! I don't know what it could be. I'm totally clueless. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
8,878 Posts
Make sure there is a good filter ahead of the pump, screen on pick up in tank, and the tank isn't full of crud or corrosion of some sort too. My only ideas...

·
Registered
76 Posts
Had the same thing happen, it was crud in the tank blocking the pickup.

·
Registered
239 Posts
If you run them dry they will die very quickly. NAPA has a small inline filter of metal that will pre-filter the pump. The Anti-Siphon valve could be causing you grief as well.

·
Registered
440 Posts
All above ideas are definately the place to start. Another idea is to make sure you have a return to the tank.
An electric pump has to constantly flow fuel. Thats what cools it. If it deadheads you will over heat it and kill it.

Lastly, a 130 gph pump is way over kill for a stock 454.
You can test the pump by jumping it directly to the battery. If it runs, it's likely ok and you have an obstruction.

Is it carb'd or EFI

·
Premium Member
8,666 Posts
and make sure the pump is below the tank, and as close to the tank as possible.

They are better at pushing fuel, then sucking it.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Above I just assumed it was electric. If it's mechanical it's an obstruction in the suction or discharge line.
Along with checking the above check to see if there's obstruction at the carb. If you have those little inline filters that Holley installs in the carb, that could be messing you up too.
I guess that's what you meant when you wrote,"no fuel would come out when i cranked her over."

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for all the advice guys!!!!!! It is a mechanical fuel pump and the pump is actually below the fuel tanks. In my baja, their are 2 fuel tanks right next to the engine in the back of the boat. It also isn't quite stock. I do have some bolt on's, so i assumed the 130 gph would be sufficent. I am hoping that its just some crud built up in the fuel tank. But all the advice is greatly appreciated. I got alot of good ideas.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks again everyone for help, i found out that it was my tank switch. I have a switch that lets me run off of either port or strb tank. The switch is bad. but thanks again. I am gonna post another question about timming!!!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Holley fuel pump

Hi, iam also in need of a fuel pump for my 95 Crownline. Its got a bone stock 454 mag wich has the mechanical pump mounted on the sea pump. My pump seized and knocked out the lobe that operates it. Can some one tell me the part # for the Holley pump that i would need, and can i rebuild the sea pump with a new shaft or does the whole assembly need replaced? Any advice would be greatly appriciated!

·
Registered
709 Posts
I am in the process of rebuilding my sea pump housing. It started leaking gear lube yesterday. I pulled it apart and have found that tghe seals are bad in addition to the fuel pump as it is leaking fuel in the sea pump housing. I see all parts are available, but my shaft is grooved and it may be the same price to replace the whole assy that rebuild with new seals, bearings and shaft. I may see if I can sleeve the shaft.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts