Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
My cousin Susan Bell was one of the deceased on the boat. This is tragic, the idiot driving the boat hit a barge anchored off to the side of the channel that he had to have driven by earlier in the day when they departed the marina. the barge is over 120 feet long and over 8 feet high. Of course the drive lived.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
So VERY sorry for your loss. I hate hearing about these accidents.
Is the driver or passengers a SW or OSO member?

·
Registered
5,586 Posts
Sorry to hear Tom, this is tragic

·
Registered
70,398 Posts
Very sad, sorry for your loss Tom.
Years ago Myself and 3 others were running in a lake, a barge was anchored about a mile off shore with no lights. we were running about 30MPH when all the lights on the shore disappeared in front of me, I cut the wheel and pulled bach on the stick just in time. If the barge would have been loaded and lower in the water or I had been drinking we would not have seen it. we had a spot light but the barge was all rust and blended in to the dark. Now I just don't go out at night over an Idle. :(

·
Rock Steady
13,139 Posts
RACER-X6 said:
Very sad, sorry for your loss Tom.
Years ago Myself and 3 others were running in a lake, a barge was anchored about a mile off shore with no lights. we were running about 30MPH when all the lights on the shore disappeared in front of me, I cut the wheel and pulled bach on the stick just in time. If the barge would have been loaded and lower in the water or I had been drinking we would not have seen it. we had a spot light but the barge was all rust and blended in to the dark. Now I just don't go out at night over an Idle. :(
Pretty smart thing to do!

Tom, its always terrible to read these things. Sorry my thoughts are with your family and to anyone else involved.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
I still dont get how a barge cant have any lights on it and the owners get away with it.

I hate it that the barges running up and down the ohio only have a little red and green light on them. I personally think they need all sides iluminated plus red and green lights

. However something is better than nothing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts