Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Take a look at this picture and tell me the differences you see between it and your 206. Last year I saw a 206 at the dock and saw it running thru some rough chop, that's what got me into this performance boat sickness.:)

Right now I have the interior out of the 20, and it is taking longer to do now that I have the 242 to deal with also. I hope to get it back together soon. Maybe trailer it over to East Lake for a run.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Looks like a nice ride.
From the angle that the pic is taken at it's hard to tell if the hull is the same. Undoubtedly it's similar.

The ride is good but in certian kinds of chop it rides hard, at least the wife thinks so. When it get a little air, the ride smooths out for about 2-3 sceonds, she's not sure if she cares for it or not, I just sit there with a big grin on my face.:D
What got us started? We both grew up on the Jersey shore and I always loved the offshore racing boats, used to go watch them race in Point Pleasant, and many of my friends had tunnel boats, jet boats, I/O's, etc.
When we started looking at boats we found this one, took a demo ride with the owner and she fell in love with it. We still have a lot to learn about deep V handling but we're doing good.
Would love to get together with you on East Lake some time. Not sure what my weekends will be like as I just accepted a part time position at Epcot that requires me to be available Sat. and Sun. Guess I'll have to use a couple vacation days and boat during the week.
Later,
Iggy

One more thing, I'll have to break out the digital camera and take a few shots of ours to post.

·
Registered
12,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would like to see the pics of your boat. What kind/size prop are you spinning? I had a 24 Turbo prop, and the best I could get was 49.7 MPH. I now have a 23 cleaver and a 21 cleaver, but haven't gotten a chance to check top end with them. I have a 330 hp 5.7. My boat starts to porpose pretty bad if I trim it up at all. There is about a 3/8 inch hook from 4 feet forward of the transom. I think I need to get a prop with more bow lift.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Ours has a 350MAG, 270 hp, Alpha drive spinning a 14.5" 21P (old) Mirage and she'll top out at 58 (GPS) with full fuel, cooler,wife, grandson and myself on board. I'll bet it'll hit 60 with a lite load.
On the "other" board Boilerdaddy said I was running the wrong prop and checked with two Formula engineers. They both wrote me back stating their test data showed that a 19P Laser II gave better out of hole performance as well as better (lower) fuel consumption, top end was only two MPH slower.
Guess I'll have to see if I can borrow a Laser II some time for testing.

MIne will start porpoising at low planing speeds but I just either increase speed or drop the drive or add trim with the tabs.
One of the local guys on East Lake has one like mine but with a BBC. One day he was out and at high speed it was chine walking really bad. He pulled up and I asked what was wrong. He replied it was over powered, he had a 502 BBC and it ran 75 MPH. Said anything over 70 and it gets to be a handfull. The engine in it wasn't his, it belonged to a friend. Some friend.

Don't know if my hull has hook of not. I'll have borrow a straight edge long enough and check.

I've go a copy of the original 1988 Formula brochure on my boat. Send me your E-mail address and I'll send it out.

·
Registered
12,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Iggy, my email is [email protected]. If you would like to try either of my cleavers, let me know. I was in Orlando today checking a job we are starting week after next.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Yeah, I'd like to try the 21" sometime. The 23 is way too steep for my engine to turn. I'd never get out of the hole.

Thanks for your address, brochure is on the way. I would've used your mail link from here but I couldn't attach a file.

So, you'll be working in Orlando?
Doing what?
Where?
How long?

·
Registered
12,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got the information, I see quite a few things that are different, not by looking at it, (the picture is a bit fuzzy) but by what is listed.

We will be doing the tile at a Denato's Pizza on John Young Parkway just off 417. We were supposed to start next week, but the rain is killing them and we got pushed back a week. We will probably be there for 5 days or so, depending whether the GC has everything ready or not. Actually I think the super is being optomistic about the week after next.

Do you have any pics of your boat?

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
I know exactly where it is.
I drive past it going home every night.:)

All the rain we've had has really slowed all construction in the area.

Haven't had time to pull the cover and take any pics. Besides it's been raining when I get home.:( I can't even cut my grass. If it grows any taller I'll need a machete to hack my way to the front door.:D

I'll have to stop by the job site next week and introduce myself. If it's ok, that is.

·
Registered
12,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It will be week after next when we are there. I drive a 99 Ford Lariat F150/Green/4wd. I'll let you know when we are there.

I know what you mean abou the rain. My buddy asked me the other day when I was going to bale the hay.:(

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Sounds good to me.
At least we drive the right trucks. I have a '97 F-250 Lariat 4X4 in white.:D

Damn phone's been ringing off the hook this morning.:mad: Everybody and their brother's looking for me. Guess I'd better get to work.

Later.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts