Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have any of you all used those little breath analizers they sell. My friend had one way back when and I thought it was a pretty cool little deal. You could check to see what % you were at any given time.

We just used to mess with it and see who could get it to max out. However it would be a great way to see if you were in good standings to drive. No sence of risking anything or anyone.

Im just curious how accurate they are.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
419 Posts
My buddy had one a few years back from brookstone, we sadly kolled it the first time out by "oversaturating" it:laugher: not a bad little thing to have around these days. not sure how accurate they are. I'd use it merely as a guage as to weather you feel as good/bad as you think to drive :winker:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,363 Posts
My buddy has one ----- connected to the ignition of his car. It seems the state of Texas felt it was necessary.
His car will not start until he blows into it and registers below .08.
 

·
Super Goon At Large
Joined
·
6,103 Posts
DonMan said:
My buddy has one ----- connected to the ignition of his car. It seems the state of Texas felt it was necessary.
His car will not start until he blows into it and registers below .08.
Had a buddy who got one of those on his truck once. You also have to blow every 10-15 minutes while you are driving or it will record it as a fail. You only get so many failures too. SO he went and bought a cheap truck to drive that they didn't know about.................sneaky rascal he is for sure..............
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,693 Posts
We bought one from Amazon last summer.....just a toy but it is "certified" as being accurate like the police field units. Some of the cheaper ones are not calibrated and give varied readings.....I think ours was around $100.00. We use it just as you said.....just how drunk are you REALLY!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,508 Posts
I have an alcohawk that I think was about $120. I did some research and it was the most accurate home breathalyzer in that price range.

It is pretty accurate and if anything it reads slightly high. Only problem is all your buddies want to see how drunk they are so it becomes a toy! :laugher: Which means it has to be recalibrated more often.

http://www.breathalyzer.net/alcohawkpro.html
 

·
Rock Steady
Joined
·
13,139 Posts
While I think these are a good thing to have around, the laws are changing folks, our area courts are charging and convicting people that are 0.04 or above. Its called DWI and it carries the same penalties as DUI.

Be aware folks...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,508 Posts
Rock Steady said:
While I think these are a good thing to have around, the laws are changing folks, our area courts are charging and convicting people that are 0.04 or above. Its called DWI and it carries the same penalties as DUI.

Be aware folks...
And people say the liberals are ruining the country!!! :laugher:

.04??? That's a bloody mary for breakfast! :angry1:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Rock Steady said:
While I think these are a good thing to have around, the laws are changing folks, our area courts are charging and convicting people that are 0.04 or above. Its called DWI and it carries the same penalties as DUI.

Be aware folks...

yeah thats kinda why I want one. Im like most and I enjoy a cold frosty adult beverage while out. However before I leave I would #1 like to know that im safe and #2 know im under the limit to be locked up..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
91 Posts
I have the Alcomate Prestige model. Mine is very accurate as I have friends who are deputies and we have compared the two side by side. They are nice to have but can get expensive because they need calibration fairly often. In fact, mine needs it right now. According to it, I was legally dead last weekend. The nice thing about the model I bought is you just order a new sensor to calibrate it instead of having to send it off some where.

http://alcotester.com/al-6000.htm
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,363 Posts
FA18Driver said:
Had a buddy who got one of those on his truck once. You also have to blow every 10-15 minutes while you are driving or it will record it as a fail. You only get so many failures too. SO he went and bought a cheap truck to drive that they didn't know about.................sneaky rascal he is for sure..............


.... and my friend NEVER asks any sober people to blow for him either ..... :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,212 Posts
As far as I know its always been that way, over .08 is automatic DUI but they can arrest you for anything over .001 if they believe your impaired..

Rock Steady said:
While I think these are a good thing to have around, the laws are changing folks, our area courts are charging and convicting people that are 0.04 or above. Its called DWI and it carries the same penalties as DUI.

Be aware folks...
 

·
Rock Steady
Joined
·
13,139 Posts
HTRDLNCN said:
As far as I know its always been that way, over .08 is automatic DUI but they can arrest you for anything over .001 if they believe your impaired..
That is the way the law reads..

Its 0.08 or above BAC or any alcohol that impairs your ability to operate a motor vehicle... So that is really a judgment call.

Also, you have the right to refuse the field Breathalyzer and the sobriety tests, but you can not refuse the Breathalyzer at the station or a blood test.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,508 Posts
HTRDLNCN said:
As far as I know its always been that way, over .08 is automatic DUI but they can arrest you for anything over .001 if they believe your impaired..
First I have heard of that. :confused:

Hopefully that is not true. If that is the case that is ridiculous!

I know here in Michigan it's .1 for a boat but if you're .07 and the officer thinks you're impaired he can arrest you.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,509 Posts
They can't arrest you for DUI if your under the LEGAL limit.... They CAN however arrest you on a different charge , such as, inattentive driving
 

·
Rock Steady
Joined
·
13,139 Posts
Your wrong about that DG... I have 1st had experience and read the law myself. I was 0.07 BAC and they still arrested me, and towed my car, got down to the station and they released me, it was totally rediculous... Still charged me wiht DWI though. I should get off, but its NOT for sure. I quoted the law up there for you...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,508 Posts
Rock Steady said:
Your wrong about that DG... I have 1st had experience and read the law myself. I was 0.07 BAC and they still arrested me, and towed my car, got down to the station and they released me, it was totally rediculous... Still charged me wiht DWI though. I should get off, but its NOT for sure. I quoted the law up there for you...
That sucks. Fight that all the way! I'm betting they were hoping you would blow higher at the station(.08) then they could throw you in the tank. Total BS!

Every state is different when it comes to DUI/DWI laws.
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top