Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noticed this Sunday when wiping it down. Don't remember hitting anything that day, but can't imagine not noticing it from another day out. I've done other repairs before but not in a noticable place.

Here is what I was going to do. Clean it out with some low grit sand paper, then fill it in with some fiberglass filler. Sand it back flush, and then paint it with a air gun and matching paint. Then wet sand and wax. Am I missing anything.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,666 Posts
Go to your Rinker dealer and get a gelcoat repair kit,,,, they should have one to match your boat,,,, just mix, fill sand and buff !!!

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
obnoxus said:
Go to your Rinker dealer and get a gelcoat repair kit,,,, they should have one to match your boat,,,, just mix, fill sand and buff !!!
Yeah I was hoping that there is something like that, it sucks doing it the other way. I don't mind painting but its all the prep work. If there is a filler that matches the paint, awesome.

·
Registered
594 Posts
they make a product known as patch paste. take a round drummel bit in a low speed cordless drill and grind a SMALL trough through the damaged area. DO NOT go any deeper just smooth out the rough edges. take your time. mix the entire patch paste on a glass or smooth surface until well mixed. apply with a plastic flat scraper or the like. make sure it is a little higher that the surface but keep the area as small as possible. here comes the tricky part. It will flash off in about 10 to 15 minutes on a 70 plus day, as it begins to harden use a single edged razor blade and remove the high spots by holding the blade at a 20 degree angle going in the direction of motion and scrape it off. do nothing more for 24 hours. After it has cured fully find a small sanding block that will only cover the damaged area. and start with sanding by hand with 500 grit. WORK slowly and check often for contour and flatness. once flat go to 1500 to remove any scratches, take your time and use little pressure so as to not go through the gel coat and use lots of water in a hand held spray bottle. once you have it looking smooth do a final with 2000 grit same as before. follow up with a buffer and wax to get the luster back. the most important thing is take your time and do not sand more than needed, check often and dry with a towel to see what you have done. do not be concerned about the dull finish when sanding, it will come back after the last stage and the buffing. do call spectrum color in Kent washington as they will have the proper color match for your boat. hope this helps. if you need any more help just email me at [email protected]
Snivley

·
Rock Steady
13,139 Posts
Wow some good info there, wish I knew all that when I did my repair on the Scarab. I have 4 long scratches from the triler all the way to the fiberglass... yuck!!

Do you think you banged in on the trailer while loading?

·
Stokers Rule
4,387 Posts
s022mag said:
Oh my god, what a life saver, I with I would have found this about 3 years ago. Thanks for the help.

Glad you got some gel. Paint will not seal below the waterline and water will still get through. Gel is the right way to seal fiberglass under the water.

Now you have some gel experience. :bigsmile:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.