Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
70,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been shoping around for a boat for years, sort of waiting for a great deal.... I stumbeled across a 26' Celebrity Andretti with twin 270 hp 350 mag's. Website says it'll do around 65 mph. My question is if I modify the engines to around 350 hp each or maybe 400 hp each (yes, i know i'll break my drives...) what sort of mph could I expect? I don't even own the boat, I'm just day dreaming. Can ya help me out! Thanks guys!

·
Registered
397 Posts
how fast do you want to go?

personally, why buy a 26 ft boat with twins that goes 65 when a single engine boat can do that easily

·
Registered
405 Posts
there are a TON of used boats on the market for decent money these days... shop until you find something that'll do what you want it too. It'll likely be a lot cheaper that way than buying something and trying to make it go much faster...

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
gewtersnake said:
I don't mind doing the mod's, as long as I have the money (ha!).
yeah, but you'll be pretty pissed when you buy a boat that was designed to go 55-65 mph and you dump tens of thousands of dollars into trying to make a stuck pig fly only to find out it wont hadle for crap when you could have bought a hull designed to go fast in the first place and done it for half the cost.

Plenty of single engine boats in the 22-28 foot range that are capable of 70-80 mph with mild power and capable of 90+ with lots of power.

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
UP_ROKTOY said:
yeah, but you'll be pretty pissed when you buy a boat that was designed to go 55-65 mph and you dump tens of thousands of dollars into trying to make a stuck pig fly only to find out it wont hadle for crap when you could have bought a hull designed to go fast in the first place and done it for half the cost.

Plenty of single engine boats in the 22-28 foot range that are capable of 70-80 mph with mild power and capable of 90+ with lots of power.
What he said.......READ THIS CAREFULLY! Start with a fast hull.

Besides for wanting to fast, what else is on your list? No boat does EVERYTHING. Do you have a family? Most "fast" boats tend to have less creature comforts.

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
MarkyMark said:
whats your price range
thats the next question to answer.....

as for fast hulls, scarabs, formula's, baja's, donzi, cigarette, sonic, pantera, sunsation, progression, activator, superboat, carerra, corsa, checkmate, etc.

each of those has different characteristics and hydro and aero dynamic properties, coupled with different weights, etc.

How much can you spend, how much room do you need, how fast do you have to go, whats important to you?

Lots to determine, just saying you want to go 70-80 leaves a lot to be answered.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
I agree with what everyone else is saying. Most run about style boats are not designed to go those kind of speeds. Some have a hook built into the stern of the hull which is about impossible to overcome, and Second traveling over 70 mph in that boat would become dangerous, at speeds like that you really need heavy duty tabs, and hydraulic steering.

I know its fun to build something to be proud of and know you did it yourself, but Its much easier, safer, and cheaper usually in the long run if you buy something close to what you want already. Good luck in your search.

·
Premium Member
12,363 Posts
UP_ROKTOY said:

You should contact Trippledigits. He can get 1000hp out of a small block and can make an Alpha drive live behind 1000hp. And he can do 140 mph in a 20' hull and run circles around all the big-time guys in their $700,000 Skaters and Outerlimits ! All on a budget, no less . . .

The man is a legend in his own mind. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
70,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah, im familiar with triple digits and i'm sort of modeling my project around his... but im a little confused. Are you guys telling me that this celebrity andretti that does 60~65 mph stock, won't 75 mph with some high torque twin 383s as opposed to the stock twin 350s? Triple digits boat did 56mph stock, and now look at it... Just bare with me and assume that buying a 40k boat is out of the option.

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
here is my generic take on it. boats are not cars that you can simply hot rod. there is more too it then horsepower.
someone once told me (I apolgize for no source) that a cheap way to see it is that after a certain speed it takes X amount of horsepower to go another 1 mph. and the X is like 50 horsepower or something.
and assuming you do push the limits of your small blocks, your drives, and chine walk all over the water and hit that magic 75 mph mark how long do you really see it lasting. because I think you'll be spending more time in the bilge then the cockpit. :winker:

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
you'll have $20+k just into the motors, steering, props and drives by the time your done. now factor in the cost to buy of the boat in the first place. go spend $25k on something that's already done, enjoy it, and you'll be ahead of the game $$ wise.

dont listen to a word that triple digit dude says.

·
Premium Member
12,363 Posts
gewtersnake said:
Yeah, im familiar with triple digits and i'm sort of modeling my project around his...

Are you guys telling me that this celebrity andretti that does 60~65 mph stock, won't 75 mph with some high torque twin 383s as opposed to the stock twin 350s?

I`m sorry that I was not more blunt --- my comments were sarcastic in nature. Trippledigits is an internet joke. He has been banned from every boating website out there.

And to answer your question --- No, I don`t think you will gain 15 mph just by swapping in some 383`s.
15 mph is VERY HARD to gain in any boat (although Trippledigits makes a 60 mph gain look easy . . . :laugher: ).

1 - 20 of 56 Posts