Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I was just wondering if there is some specila way to clean up my SS Mirage Plus prop? It has a little bit of surface rust. SOS pad?

·
Registered
398 Posts
I usually find that any good metal polish will take surface rust off SS.. Mothers, blue magic, ect.. if it is severe and that dosnt work I usually wet sand with 2000 grit then polish.

·
Registered
230 Posts
SOS pad or steel wool will work well with a little WD40 to break the rust loose. Steel wool comes in grades, so you can gradually polish it by using the finer grades, like sand paper. This works good for aluminum and chrome plated steel, too.

·
Registered
5,508 Posts
I've heard that the steel wool can embed into the SS and make it rust worse in the future. Not sure if it's true.

·
Registered
241 Posts
blackhawk said:
I've heard that the steel wool can embed into the SS and make it rust worse in the future. Not sure if it's true.
It is true. Try to find brass wool. Does the same job without embedding the soon-to-rust steel particles that are left behind.

·
Premium Member
12,363 Posts
50/50 mix of muriatic acid/water. Just wear plastic gloves and spray it on and rinse it off. Let it set on for about 30 seconds. It is nasty and caustic but will make your prop look brand new. I`d pull it off the drive first though.

·
Rock Steady
13,139 Posts
gb42 said:
Go Faster
HAHA... hell yeah spin those puppies...

All the above will work.... OR send them to Throttle up or Bblades and have them put a nice polish on them for you?? :chinese:

·
Rock Steady
13,139 Posts
Yes.... That does a very good job of cleaning Steel or metal...but it can damage it

1 - 12 of 12 Posts