Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just want to check some pressures. Water at WOT is 30psi end of gauge, and oil at WOT is 78psi or so also end of gauge! Is this normal. My buddy has a carb version and he is not as high. Any owners out there give me some reassurance.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Canada Jeff,
30 lbs. is a little on the high side. Most engine builders that I have talked to or read in the magazines agree that 18-24 is the range to be in Most 500EFI owners I have asked this question were running around 18-20. Have you had to replace any water circulating pumps yet? Are you running dual-water or low-water pick-ups on the drive? Is the pressure gauge mechanical or electric and where is the sender located? I'm not sure what the oil pressure should be on the 500's but it sounds real good to me. The 454's run 60 at 150 degrees and drop off to around 50 at 220 degrees WOT.

I had a problem with 454 mags reaching 40+ of water pressure. I was going through circulating pumps every 70 to 80 hours. :mad:
I have since fixed the problem. 24lbs is my new max.:)
Dan

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have replaced one impeller at 30 hours (picked up lots of sand). The drive is a low water pick up only, the gage is mech and the water hose comes from the drivers side of the block near the frost plugs. This engine is stock, I've done nothing to it. As long as it stays together, give her!!
Thanx for the reply Candyman.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
If you are not hurting the circulating pump you should be good. The low water pickup is probably adding 4-5 lbs. of pressure at WOT. I never thought I'd have a problem of too much water. :confused:
Dan

1 - 5 of 5 Posts