Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hydrohoist owners - need your inputs: PICS Added

Hi folks,

I am checking out a used 16,000 lb hydrohoist that is for sale. Looks okay in the pictures but I would like to check it out in detail.

What should I look for?
Weak points?
Maintenance items?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
In saltwater I would look everything over carefully, you can probably get a hydro hoist service guy to look at it for you for a reasonable fee. I had the local Hydrohoist mechanic look over mine before I bought it and he only charged me $50

PS:If its for your boat it wont lift it,nowhere near big enough.

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
check the metal bands that attach to the fiberglass tubes. they rust where they bolt together. also look at the metal scissors that allow the floats to move up and down. they rust out too. i replaced all my metal bands and all the scissors.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
a 42ft Harley with fuel and it weighs less than 16k?
Thats damn light, I was thinking your boat was more along the
lines of a Cary40 or Magnum 38, my cousins 38 Magnum weighs over
22,000 with full fuel load.
Sorry about the confusion! :)

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cool Bro - they are kevlar sandwiches foam and clained to weigh 10, 000 lbs by maker which is BS - two guys out west have the gas versions (like mine) and they weigh 14,000 with fluids....still cutting it close though.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
all it takes is CASH (I don't use credit for my toys) and I am still catching up from Kid's wedding and another's graduation, and a half-child's wedding....rough year.

Still hoping to get her fixed up by late fall when the boating gets nice down here in S Florida. The lift would save me SO much work....keeping the bottom clean in these nasty canals and keeping the arnesons free of clams is brutal!

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Okay - here is the lift: See pictures of all the rusty parts?
I have some questions:

1) Can the hardware be replaced with aluminum instead of galvanized steel croos pieces?

2) Any cost estimates on getting these parts?

3) What if I had some local guy weld new - any idea what that would run?

I'd love to get the boat out of the water but it needs to be safe and secure and wont do it.

Pontoons look fine and everything worked up and down.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
last one - I think every metal part needs replacing. The pumps work, hoses are in good shape, pontoons and side walks are fine - they will clean up well.

Would like to redo it in aluminum with full length bunks to support the weight of the mid-hull engines.

Anyone done it - how much?

thanks!!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just bought a used 10,000 lb lift for my boat. Spent over $500.00 just getting new bunks and other parts for it & it looked brand new. By the time you rebuild (and looks like you are going to be doing a lot of it) are you better getting brand new?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just bought a used 10,000 lb lift for my boat. Spent over $500.00 just getting new bunks and other parts for it & it looked brand new. By the time you rebuild (and looks like you are going to be doing a lot of it) are you better getting brand new?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.