Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Premium Member
27,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just wondering.

we've been thinking about a dog but the dander kills Karen's sinususes - so we're investigating hypoallergenic dogs

anyone have one - if so what do you have?

·
I've Survived Everything!
12,273 Posts
Yup, we have a Kerry Blue Terrier.

Great dog, very intelligent, does not shed!

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
I have a Siberian Husky, she sheds a fair amount if not kept brushed and combed out, but she is a very clean dog, requires no baths, doesnt drool etc. and is very easy to deal with for people with allergies.

·
Innocent Bystander
1,498 Posts
We have a Cairn Terrier. It's the same breed as Toto from Wizard of Oz. Absolutely great dog, tons of personality, not hard to train. He sheds quite a bit, too, if we don't keep up with grooming.

List of Hypoallergenic Dogs
Below is a list of hypoallergenic dogs. If you are looking for a hypoallergenic dog for your family any of these dogs may be a good match.

Remember, no dog is 100% hypoallergenic, but people with allergies frequently react to supposedly hypoallergenic breeds differently and can even react to individual dogs differently. If your allergic family member has a reaction to a particular breed of dog that family member may be fine with dogs of another breed that is considered to be hypoallergenic.

The following is a list of dogs considered to be hypoallergenic:

American Hairless Terrier
Airedale Terrier
Basenji
Bedlington Terrier
Bichon Frise
Border Terrier
Cairn Terrier
Chinese Crested (hairless)
Havanese
Kerry Blue Terrier
Maltese
Miniature Schnauzer
Portuguese Water Dog
Puli
Shih-Tzu
Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier
Spanish Water Dog
Standard Poodle
Standard Schnauzer
Tibetan Terrier
Toy Poodle
West Highland White Terrier
Wirehaired Fox Terrier
Yorkshire Terrier

Keep in mind that all dogs may carry small amounts of allergens or can pick up natural allergens in their fur when they go outside. To keep the allergy risk low even among hypoallergenic breeds, you should bath and groom as frequently as your vet or authorities on the breed suggest. (If a hypoallergenic dog's skin gets too dry from too much bathing, it make flake and cause allergic reations) If your family is super sensitive to pet hair you should be careful about having your pet groomed by a groomer with other breeds in the shop. To reduce the amount of loose hair on the dog, specify to your groomer that your dog should be rinsed after being clipped. (Most groomers bathe before clipping in order to not expose their clipper blades to marmful skin oils) Many groomers also spray a dog with a perfume after bathing which many asthmatics and allergy sufferers are allergic to. If this could be a concern for you ask your groomer in advance not to use any perfumes or colognes on your dog.

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
Zito is a mini schnauzer, although he's 26lbs they usually only get between 15-20lbs so I'm told. no grooming other then a haircut every now and then, no shedding. lots of personality, all the classic dog traits (loving, loyal, playful), about the only thing that sets him apart is his watchdog characteristics. has to let everybody know if some on is near the house with his barking, which sounds mean but all he would do is lick people to death :bigsmile:

Attachments

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
UP_ROKTOY said:
I have a Siberian Husky, she sheds a fair amount if not kept brushed and combed out, but she is a very clean dog, requires no baths, doesnt drool etc. and is very easy to deal with for people with allergies.

I have been thinking about a husky. Actually there is a breeder down the road which sells a husky / wolf hybrid mix. They are awsome.

Does your husky run off alot. I have heard they are a very curious dog which likes to jump fences and take off for long trips. I only have a 4.5 ft fence so I cant get a dog that wants to jump it constantly....

how is the shedding.... My neighbor has a full blooded husky that great. The only issue I see is that at certain times of the year it looses it coat and covers the grass with clumps of fur

·
Rock Steady
13,139 Posts
After having this issue with a cat and my son... I have learned its not the shedding that is causing the allergens, its something in their saliva, then when it dries on their fur, it flies off right into your nose and eyes, its smaller than most pollens and its sticky, so it will stick to walls and carpet even with repeated cleanings...

·
Premium Member
7,061 Posts
Schnook said:
... List of Hypoallergenic Dogs
Below is a list of hypoallergenic dogs. ...
Thanks for all of the great information! We'd like a small dog that we could take on the boat, so size matters... the smaller, the better. Thanks again! :)

·
Premium Member
7,061 Posts
Rock Steady said:
After having this issue with a cat and my son... I have learned its not the shedding that is causing the allergens, its something in their saliva, then when it dries on their fur, it flies off right into your nose and eyes, its smaller than most pollens and its sticky, so it will stick to walls and carpet even with repeated cleanings...
I have heard that too, but we spent the weekend at a house with a Bichon Frise, and I didn't sneeze, wheeze, or rub my eyes once. When I mentioned it to the owner, she told me it's because the dog is hypoallergenic. :)

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
axkiker said:
I have been thinking about a husky. Actually there is a breeder down the road which sells a husky / wolf hybrid mix. They are awsome.

Does your husky run off alot. I have heard they are a very curious dog which likes to jump fences and take off for long trips. I only have a 4.5 ft fence so I cant get a dog that wants to jump it constantly....

how is the shedding.... My neighbor has a full blooded husky that great. The only issue I see is that at certain times of the year it looses it coat and covers the grass with clumps of fur
I have had a Husky for about 11 years and he is only now getting the idea that he is not supposed to try and "escape" from our fenced in yard. They do like to run and no matter how hard I try he will never be an off leash dog. He does shed a good bit twice a year. We just put in some laminate floor and now we get the little "fur bunnies" if we don't vaccum every other day. The temperment is great! He does not bark but howls and has never growled or snapped at anyone.

·
Premium Member
27,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Rock Steady said:
After having this issue with a cat and my son...
so - did you get rid of the cat and your son?

do you cut your sons hair frequently?

how much dander does your son give off?

does he shed?

inquiring minds want to know....

:laugher: :laugher: :laugher: :laugher: :laugher:

·
Rock Steady
13,139 Posts
He's bald dude!!! Yes the cat had to go to a new home...

This is his 1st BIG tub bath a few months ago :star:

Attachments

·
Registered
356 Posts
greeneyedbeacher said:
Thanks for all of the great information! We'd like a small dog that we could take on the boat, so size matters... the smaller, the better. Thanks again! :)
Darn, and one of my my Irish Wolfhounds is having pups in about a month! :bigsmile:

1 - 20 of 68 Posts