Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

First I'd like to wish everyone here a safe and happy 4th of july. I have a question about restoring the shine on the boat. I have removed the WELLCRAFT name from the rear of the boat and I have removed all of the remaining adhesive. I want to put the name of my boat in the same spot, but the WELLCRAFT can still be seen. The rest of the boat is shinny to a point, but where the lettering came off it looks brand new and very glossy. Is there something out there that I can use to either bring the boat back to it's original new finish or something that I can use to rough over the old graphics so they dont shine so much? I tried rubbing compound and it didnt make a difference. Any help is as always, greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Go 4 BROKE said:
Hi all,

First I'd like to wish everyone here a safe and happy 4th of july. I have a question about restoring the shine on the boat. I have removed the WELLCRAFT name from the rear of the boat and I have removed all of the remaining adhesive. I want to put the name of my boat in the same spot, but the WELLCRAFT can still be seen. The rest of the boat is shinny to a point, but where the lettering came off it looks brand new and very glossy. Is there something out there that I can use to either bring the boat back to it's original new finish or something that I can use to rough over the old graphics so they dont shine so much? I tried rubbing compound and it didnt make a difference. Any help is as always, greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I have had that problem before and honestly I dont think you can totally cure it..... Gel coat fades or yellows as the years pass from the sun. The white under the letters is probably a brighter white and in likne new condition.

If you want to take the time to buff the entire boat that helps. You could even go as far as using some 2000 grit sand paper and buffing. That will help some but I doubt you can get it totally out.

On the boats Ive worked on I have always been able to get it close enough that typically people who didnt know didnt notice. However I could still tell and I was also working on mid 90's boats. So they were not as faded as some older boats get....

give it a try and see. At the worst you end up with a shiny boat.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What do you usually use to bring the gloss back? What do you use to buff your boat with? WestMarine has a lot of 3M products that look pretty good. I also have a grinder/buffer. 1,000-3,000rpm with soft start. I have to clean it up though I used it to grind some paint off of my fairing and it's still dusty.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Check out my post "another red oxidation question"

Your best bet is to try to get the rest of the boat as shinny as where your graphics were. A lot of work. I spent about 10hrs on mine and that was just one side of the boat.

I used 1000 grit wet sand paper and then 2000 wet sand paper, but was told that 3M heavy duty rubbing compound is about the same as 2000 wet sand paper. After that I've heard using Finesse It a 3M product, I used Perfect It, and looks just a good, actually couldn't find Finesse It. Its use strictly for marine where Perfect It it for automotive. Then a good wax.

Honestly if I were you I'd enlarge my graphic to cover up the whole area. Good luck.

·
Registered
5,508 Posts
You can start with 600 grit sandpaper and work your way up. 600, 800, 1000, 1500 then go to a rubbing compound then wax.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts