Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
so i thought i would share my story.....
wife and i decided to buy a cabin cruiser. seemed like a good idea. love our friends 250 se doral found on in maryland dealt with the broker the broker said that the boat is in great shape no issues or problems. I order a trailer to put under it because no one has on in stock. drive to maryland 500+ miles the boat doesn't run right won't shift. The boat is fuel injected and idled at 1800 rpm. The broker swears the boat ran great with no issues three weeks prior. drive home with a beautiful new aluminum venture trailer (which is forsale by the way) very fustrating. so far 400.00 in fuel and hotel and food cost total 625.00 plus the expense of the trailer and no boat.
find another in the cape cod. recieved pictures looks good was told there was only 40hrs on the boat. questioned the 40 hour he said he never used the boat.
i get down there thankfully it was only four hours away and look at the hour meter 192 hours. asked about the 40 hour and he said well that is what is on this (new)motor. keep looking at the boat noticed a new starter questioned it said the bellows leaked and killed the batteries from the bilge pump running and said water just got up to the starter and fried it.... yeah sure. I bet the water only got up to the starter..... anyway still no boat. I have basically a month left of the boating season up here in vermont.. maybe i should go back to snowmobiling. I should have kept my bowrider. oh well I least i had a nice ride through nyc.
sooooo does any one know where there is a good running 25 se doral?

i am starting to find this pretty comical.... maybe this is a sign???

·
Registered
19,039 Posts
Very frustrating ! Keep the faith ! ATleast you didn't end up finding out you had a POS after the sale !

BTW: From a snowmobiler to another - you know those aren't a walk in the park either. :dead:

Also, that's what's great about being up here (I'm in NH) - you have spring to fix and get boat ready. You have fall to fix snowmobile and get ready. If boat takes a big poop and can't be fixed by end of season you can sit back and think about snowmobiling coming up soon. If snowmobile breaks and can't be fixed by end of season, you can sit back and think about boating coming up.

If your like me and prety much veryone else, you'll have one of those years at some point that nothing really works out. :laugher: :laugher:

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nothing ventured nothing gainned. it just really bugs me how people can miss represent what they are selling. o well. If i buy a sled i feel pretty confident we wont get any snow.....

·
Registered
19,039 Posts
priorities said:
If i buy a sled i feel pretty confident we wont get any snow.....
:laugher: :laugher: :laugher:

We can all share with that thought !!!! :laugher:

I bought 2 new and trailer new 3 yrs ago. 200 miles that winter because of lack of snow ! :dead: And I'm on the lake and trails !

Few friends sold theirs this past fall - 1st time in their adult life they where sledless - and we got 10 million feet ! If it wasn't for them this past winter would have been dry too. :laugher: :laugher: :laugher:

·
Premium Member
6,826 Posts
Took me 9 months of searching and traveling from NJ to NH and VA. The longer the hunt the more satisfying the kill ;)
Be patient and don't settle for less than you expect.

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Keep looking and if you find something of interest ask if anyone is local to the boat to check it out. I've bought a number of boats long distance/sight un-seen but have always paid a surveyor to go over the boats before I go myself....(in several cases I NEVER went to see the boat, just went off the surveyors report as to what I was buying and waited for a transporter to bring it to me)

·
I've Survived Everything!
12,273 Posts
Now you know why I bought my Formula new. I hate the games people play! :winker:

·
Registered
19,039 Posts
priorities said:
cfm where are you in nh? we have a place in blackeys cove (Ctr Harbor)
About 10 miles away. North ! A few hundred yards from the same speed limit lake as you. Maybe when it stops raining we'll run into each other at Braun Bay or something. :D

·
Premium Member
27,558 Posts
hang in there and keep looking - there are a lot of boats of there that are actually as represented and there are a lot of owners that take very good care of their boats. You'll find the right boat eventually. I looked for over a year when I owned the Top Gun to find an Outerlimits I really liked.

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
also use speedwake guys to preview boats around the country. You may want to expand your search beyond just a Doral. lot of nice 25' cruisers out there.

·
Registered
146 Posts
priorities said:
so i thought i would share my story.....
wife and i decided to buy a cabin cruiser. seemed like a good idea. love our friends 250 se doral found on in maryland dealt with the broker the broker said that the boat is in great shape no issues or problems. I order a trailer to put under it because no one has on in stock. drive to maryland 500+ miles the boat doesn't run right won't shift. The boat is fuel injected and idled at 1800 rpm. The broker swears the boat ran great with no issues three weeks prior. drive home with a beautiful new aluminum venture trailer (which is forsale by the way) very fustrating. so far 400.00 in fuel and hotel and food cost total 625.00 plus the expense of the trailer and no boat.
find another in the cape cod. recieved pictures looks good was told there was only 40hrs on the boat. questioned the 40 hour he said he never used the boat.
i get down there thankfully it was only four hours away and look at the hour meter 192 hours. asked about the 40 hour and he said well that is what is on this (new)motor. keep looking at the boat noticed a new starter questioned it said the bellows leaked and killed the batteries from the bilge pump running and said water just got up to the starter and fried it.... yeah sure. I bet the water only got up to the starter..... anyway still no boat. I have basically a month left of the boating season up here in vermont.. maybe i should go back to snowmobiling. I should have kept my bowrider. oh well I least i had a nice ride through nyc.
sooooo does any one know where there is a good running 25 se doral?

i am starting to find this pretty comical.... maybe this is a sign???

Be patient, many of us with boats will be lucky to get them back on the water this year. You will find the right boat.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
we really like the set up in the 25 se. the rear seating set-up is awesome the way the bench slides back and forth the stereo is great for being stock. We have looked at sea ray, crownline, rinker all of them are nice boats just not exactly what we are looking for. There are a few locally just more money then I would like to spend 05's and a 04' . but i guess its go big or go home. I am surprised at how boats are still selling very well expeciatly the used smaller market.

·
Stokers Rule
4,387 Posts
priorities said:
we really like the set up in the 25 se. the rear seating set-up is awesome the way the bench slides back and forth the stereo is great for being stock. We have looked at sea ray, crownline, rinker all of them are nice boats just not exactly what we are looking for. .

We looked at the Doral line up. Comparing to those you mentioned I have to agree. Doral even pumped out a model just for performance called the "Phazar" but it didn't seem to take to marketing. I was going to drive to SC and look at one when I got turned on to Formula. I"m stuck on Formula for the performance now anyway but I like the Dorals too. They are a well made boat. :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

·
Registered
8,878 Posts
AMAZING some of what you hear about POS from the sellers. I am a real skeptic now myself!!! I hardly ever think of a 2 hour or more drive to look at anything for sale after getting SMOKED so many times...And if you kill 'em...you get the jail time. Just doesn't seem right :D

·
Registered
230 Posts
Find and pay a local surveyor to do your leg work for you. The money will be well spent and you won't have to travel to the dealer or private seller until the boat is surveyed and meets your expectations. Make the downpayment contingent on the survey being accepted. That is how I purchased my boat that was 1K miles away.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
As others have said..... USE A PROFESSIONAL SURVEYOR!!!!!!!!!!

They go through the boat and give you an UNBIASED report.

·
Rock Steady
13,139 Posts
It will happen, but you might as well expect some things to go wrong, even if the owner is telling the truth.... There is usually a reason why people want to sell. I know if I am running a boat for about 3 years, I want to sell it before something else goes wrong... just the way I am, I feel inside like I have outlived the life expectancy.....so I move on, ONLY to face the same problem with somebody elses torn up chit.... Moral of the story is that the grass is usually not greener, my toys are generally in much better condition when I sell than when I purchased, AND I know all about them, which is a plus... something new, you never know what to expect.

But I am in the same "boat" as you.... Right now my best bet would be NEW....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts