Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I changed out my impeller today and cannot seem to find three pieces to the impeller. So with that being said I need some help to try and locate them. I took the thermostat housing off hoping they would be there but no luck. Anybody know where these pieces might collect? According to whats left of the impeller these pieces might be about the size of the vanes. Thanks for any help. I have a Mercruiser 350 5.7 L Bravo 1 (impeller is located on the engine). Thanks for any help.

·
Premium Member
6,826 Posts
Remove the hose from the sea water pump going to the PS cooler. Then remove the hose from PS cooler to the t-stat housing at the t-tsat. Then stick a garden hose in it and flush it backward and watch for rubber coming out of the hose by the sea water pump ;)

·
Premium Member
6,826 Posts
You have a different t-stat housing than I do. Your idea should work. The Idea is to back flush th/e cooler to get any impeller parts out.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I have been flushing for the last hour and a half, so far retrieved 2 out of 3 pieces. Anyone have some suggestions where to possibly look next? Or could it have shredded to pieces small enough to be pushed all the way through and out the exhaust?

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
I wiped an impeller out recently. I was able to piece together all but about 3 blades. I backflushed the oil cooler for a long time and didn't get any more sizable pieces out. When I first turned the backflush water on the water that came out was black, so I assume this was the missing remaining peices. I've had no overheat problems since that time.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So not being able to find this last piece, decided to put everything back together. Started her up on the muffs and its not looking like she is sucking water. It does seem to make it all the way up to the water distro housing because when I pull the blue drain plug water does come out of there. any body have any ideas?

My system runs from the raw water pump through the cooler and down through the water distro housing and then goes to various spots from there, here is a drawing.

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show...r=220&bdesc=Closed+Cooling+System(Easy+Drain)

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No I triple checked that. I even disconnected the hose at the cooler and backfilled the raw water pump to prime it. I read some other posts on here and some guys had air in their system. How do you get rid of that? Anyway it has been two days now and this thing is starting to piss me off. So if anyone has any suggestions please shoot them this way. I appreciate the responses thanks for helping out.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
OK, If I'm looking at your plumbing Maze correctly, it looks like you should have seawater running through the exhaust manifold up & out through the riser and out the exhaust pipe..After it goes through the PS cooler, then check valve, then fuel cooler, then to the water distribution, easy drain part, and the closed cooling (anti-freeze) is only going through your engine block and not the Ex manifolds... Would I be correct so far..??

It's a little different set up from when I had a closed cooling system on an older & less complex set-up, seawater ran from the pump, then thru the PS cooler, then to the heat exchanger, then to the riser only and out the exhaust, and the exhaust manifold and engine was cooled by anti-freeze..

So did you back wash the fuel cooler also??

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Sorry I posted the wrong pic, I do not have a closed cooling system.

This is how it runs,

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show...200&bdesc=Standard+Cooling+System(Easy+Drain)

Yes I did backflush the fuel cooler as well.

I back flushed from the water distro housing which is hose # 10 on the drawing all the way back to the beginning of hose # 30 by the seawater pump,

I also flushed hose # 13 by the water distro housing and flushed from hose # 14 by the fitting.

I took of both hoses of the power steering cooler and was clean.

I also tried to prime the water pump by disc hose at the cooler and backfilling with water.

I managed to flsuh out two pieces of impeller but cannot find the third, I'm hoping it got shredded into pieces small enough and pushed out through the exhaust. I think I might have an air pocket inside my cooling lines and this is preventing the water from going through the entire system.

My question is, when the Sterndrive is in the water does this allow water to flow freely down to the seawater pump to prime it for the impeller ?

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Your raw water pump is normally a very powerful pump when is working right..
When you ran it on the muffs, are you sure the garden hose did'nt collapse on you while running?? it's a strong enough pump to do that.. thus cutting off your water supply..

The check valve (#2 in drawing) should of prevented you from back flushing, that's what normally keeps the water in the system from all draining out..

So try back-filling all the hoses before the check valve (at the PS cooler) and after the check valve..#2 (like at hose #19) ,, Before you try to run it again.

If you try it again on the muffs & hose, just run at idle, and if you disconnected hose #19 at the T -fitting to the risers, you should see immediately if your pump is working or not.. (watch out though, you may get wet) :D

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I use the muffs and water is spraying out on the sides. It seems the water pickup is not sucking anything. So I'm thinking I might have a crappy seal on the muffs and looking into using a garbage can filled with water instead of the muffs.

The only thing is when I drop the sterndrive in water will the water free flow down and prime the seawater pump so I don't ruin my impeller?

Not sure if I can pull of another hose, after pulling all the hoses for two days and checking things out they are starting to look like hamburger. :D

I appreciate the help Fyhr Factor.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
No problem, I'm Trying... :bigsmile:

And that's a lot of hoses you have there, so I can't blame you, but it will all be easy now that you've done it before.

Ok, When on the muffs, ,,,it's normal to have water squirting out if you have good water pressure at home..
But once you start it up, that Should all stop, and you should'nt see any water coming out of the muffs.
So primed or not when on the muffs, it draw the water in, and push the air out of the system..

UNLESS there's a Major blockage...Or a hose is not correctly routed.

Running it in a large can may or may not work, because it's lower than your pump, you may be better off just putting the boat in the water.

Just a thought ,,,,,did you remove the Check Valve??, and if you did, make sure the arrow is pointing towards the distribution housing...
And if you did'nt pull it, check it for proper flow direction.

Good luck.. I think you will get it sorted out from here.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeah I still have water squirting everywhere when I crank her up. I even grab the muffs and push them on and move em a little to see if there is any suction resistance, nothing.

No I didn't pull the check valve. Do you know what it looks like on the inside? That is the only part of the hose I didn't pull apart because it uses some funny looking hose clamps. I figured I backflushed for about 2 hours and nothing came out so thought it was clear. Maybe I was wrong. Even if that piece of impeller was in there, I don't think it would be able to block the flow of water all the way by the check valve.

1 - 20 of 110 Posts