Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
27,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's important to you when looking for a new boat?

List the items that are your priorities. I'll start with mine.

They don't have to be in order since the 'perfect' boat for most of us is a blend of important items..

I'll start things off.

Quality, resale value, price, rough water handling ability, weekending room, speed, trailerability (under 12,000 lb package).

I didn't mention styling simply because there are no performance boats I don't like. Some boats are better looking that other but I would not preclude one because it wasn't as good looking as another.

- jeff

·
Premium Member
4,951 Posts
#1. Decide what you want the boat to do-How will you use it most of the time. This will limit your choices. Example-I recently foud a great buy on a 28 cat. Good quality 525 XR. It goes fast and looks good but does not meet my requirements of use. If my use was to just ride-fast-this would be a great boat.

#2. Determine your price range.

#3. Shop for the best quality you can afford.

#4. Go boating

·
Premium Member
27,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gilla...I know how you feel. There is a killer local deal on a brand new 30' Cigarette Mystique with HP500 EFI's and the most beautiful paint job we've ever seen on a boat. It's tough to turn down, but it doesn't meet our needs...

- jeff

·
Premium Member
18,074 Posts
As someone who is currently looking for another boat my priorities are simple.

1- Checkmate boat 20-23' (other brand may be considered if it strikes me)

2- excellant trailer

3- small or big block, not particular (speed not a priority, though gilla won't believe it) also like a large engine bay.

4- cockpit room and ease of getting in and out of boat from dock

5- open or closed bow, still undecided

6- price $

Being a Mississippi River boater, rough water handling not a neccessity. :)

·
Premium Member
6,152 Posts
When I was looking for a boat 2 Yrs. ago the items that came to mid were:

1. Price
2. Style
3. Re-sale

I was looking for as Checkmate and I finnaly bought it in New York and had it shipped out to Seattle. So if you find a boat in your back yard great but if you find it else where well go get it! My .02 worth

·
Premium Member
27,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
These are great observations. There a few boats we've looked at that are simply HUGE temptations. However I know that the novelty of these boats would wear off quickly as soon as we docked since Karen and I like to spend the entire weekend lounging around on the boat. So for us, cabin space is very important.

- jeff

·
Premium Member
4,951 Posts
My use is to boat to different coves-throw anchor and swim off the platform. Also pull tube and skis for the teens. A good bimini top-to get out of the sun for a snack or read a book. My Crownline does this very well-with the bowrider-anchor locker and large swim platform. Just wish it was bigger to handle all the folks that go with me.

My temptation is a 29 Fever-although I will pass as it does not suit my needs at all. I would enjoy the speed and ride but cuss the lack of room and other benefits I currently have. If space for weekend stays is important-considering the Beacher I am sure it is-then a Donzi or Sonic seem better suited to your needs. Even the 35 Fountains I looked at don't have very livable cabin space-although they are a very cool looking and performing boat.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Practicality....

They're BOATS. Manufacturers seem to be forgetting this important fact. They get dirty and they get wet and I want to be able to clean my boat inside and out quickly and easily. I've walked away from several brands for this reason.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Our next boat will be bigger, faster, etc. and have:
-enclosed head
-anchor locker in the bow (hopefully)
-transom shower would be nice
(you can tell what's important to me...)
Everything else is gravy.

Christine

·
Premium Member
4,951 Posts
Boats =anchor. Why don't all boats have an anchor locker?

Self-bailing non-skid without abrasion floor-not wet carpet you need to dry out everytime.

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
That's a great question Gilla. I hate walking on the deck of my boat carrying the anchor and line and trying not to let the anchor chain hit the deck.

It's even worse after I've just waxed the deck.:laugher:

All boats should have a locker.

·
Founding Member
923 Posts
The reason about the anchor locker I've heard is that manufacturers didnt' want to put in OS boats cause of the launching/pounding and risk the anchor flying out (which would be directly in the line of people in the boat). It would not be as big of a factor in a 40' boat vs/ 25' boat.

Made sense to me, but more are putting lockers in OS boats. I guess I'd think not having them would be avoidance of unnecessary legal consequences from dumbass boat owners that don't affix the anchor in the locker correctly, then take an anchor in the face and hang themselves on the chain, I dunno. The manufact. possibly would pay for boater stupidity. I see that happening at some point.

Mark

·
Premium Member
27,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Anchor Locker: My old 34' Scarab had one and it was great having the anchor handy up there. It melded into the lines of the boat really well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts