Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I'm going to be importing a boat into southern Ontario, Canada from a town in New York State on the mid to lower Hudson river.
I have read about as much as I can about bring it to the border and what I have to pay at Canadian customs but my question is, do I have to pay the New York State sales tax (not sure what the % is?) on the boat when I pay for it or am I exempt because I'm Canadian (not a New York State resident) and I'm exporting it??
I am buying the boat/trailer (24ft cuddy cabin) from a Marina that is selling on consignment for the owner.

Any help would be great!!

Thanks

·
Registered
5,586 Posts
You will not have to pay NYS tax, you will pay just your taxes and duties

·
Registered
5,586 Posts
you may want to have two sales receipts one for the boat and one for the trailer, that way that don't wak you for the full amount on both items

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input.
I have to get two receipts for Canada Customs (that's how the like it) so that shouldn't be a problem.
As for the State taxes should I just refuse to pay them?

I understand that businesses charge taxes, I just feel like the taxes will just be going in the marina's pocket and not to the state since the boat won't be being re registered in New York State.

·
Registered
794 Posts
If the boat/engines were manufactured in North America, you won't pay any duties, only taxes. I brought mine in from New York the same way. Mine was brokered so I didn't pay any taxes in the first place in New York, but I'm pretty sure you will get them back if you buy from a Marina. Are you sure it isn't just brokered by the marina?

·
Registered
5,586 Posts
You will not pay sales tax in NY, the only way the dealer would collect nys tax is if you were a ny resident

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for your help 89donzi.
I guess I'll have to wait and see what the dealer puts on the bill of sale when he sends it to me.
I hope your right.

·
Registered
5,586 Posts
what are u buying?

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
You wont be charged any tax from a NYS DEALER your not a NYS resident.. You will pay a few taxes back in canada and I beleave a $209 charge on the trailer from your state...

Make sure you get two receipts One for the trailer and one for the boat...

·
Registered
64 Posts
You NEED proof from the bank that there is no lien on the boat as well as the title prior to registering it in Canada. All the border services require are the invoices and two forms filled out + pay GST on the value of the boat+trailer.

Pretty simple compared to importing a car ;\

·
Registered
189 Posts
I would think if you have a proper bill of lading from the dealer in NY to the border you should be able to not have to pay the NY tax

·
Registered
794 Posts
tg said:
You NEED proof from the bank that there is no lien on the boat as well as the title prior to registering it in Canada. All the border services require are the invoices and two forms filled out + pay GST on the value of the boat+trailer.
IF you are using the bank. If you are paying cash, no one checks for a lien. You need to pay BOTH taxes, federal AND provincial, not just GST.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I only paid GST on mine at the border, and the bureau that registered the boat asked for the LIEN papers and TITLE, despite having paid cash for the boat.

;\

Ontario might be different for the lien proof, but why in the world would you pay provincial sales tax on a boat that was not bought in the province?? If you paid PST/RST then you should be filing for some remittance as that is an invalid tax. I've experienced 3 boats coming into the province from the US thus far and none had provincial tax paid on them at the border. Even within the country, if I'm shipping to another province other than quebec, I don't charge the buyer provincial, only federal. If I had an office in that province, it would be a different story, but private sale -> private sale there is no provincial tax enforced at the border.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Duke69 said:
Get a fake receipt made up for a portion of the value of the unit...

My $0.02
Yah I tried that.......................didn't turn out so good. Acutally turned out really bad to be honest. I don't think I would try it again.

·
Registered
794 Posts
tg said:
I only paid GST on mine at the border, and the bureau that registered the boat asked for the LIEN papers and TITLE, despite having paid cash for the boat.

;\

Ontario might be different for the lien proof, but why in the world would you pay provincial sales tax on a boat that was not bought in the province?? If you paid PST/RST then you should be filing for some remittance as that is an invalid tax. I've experienced 3 boats coming into the province from the US thus far and none had provincial tax paid on them at the border. Even within the country, if I'm shipping to another province other than quebec, I don't charge the buyer provincial, only federal. If I had an office in that province, it would be a different story, but private sale -> private sale there is no provincial tax enforced at the border.
What province are you in? I'm sure 99% sure I paid PST. I will check my paperwork when I get home. Would love to get some back to offset the above post I just made. ;)

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Canadian customs are no joke. Keep it ligit or you may end up paying full value taxes plus fines, and if you do have separate receipts make sure the real one is mailed to your house do not carry it across the border, They just may search your vehicle and find it...... :unhappy1:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts