Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found a boat locally that I'm pretty interested in.

It's a 1988 Marlin 240 Cearo 24 or 25 foot, 454, decent condition, and they're asking $8500 obo.

1) What is this boat worth?
2) Is it a good boat? Any history or links?
3) Anything I should look out for, in general with a boat of this vintage?

Thanks in advance,
Jeff

Here's some pics I took of it yesterday:

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
With some TLC I think it LOOKS like a real nice ride. I think it has some real nice lines and gives a good GO-FAST appearance.

I would want to see it in the water....the exhaust tips look too low to not be UNDER water when idling.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree, I think it looks pretty pissed off just sitting there.

Here's a different one I found for sale, sitting in the water. The owner said that the exhaust IS underwater during idle, but on plane it is not.

·
Registered
8,878 Posts
Never seen one of those before

Looks like it could be fun

Only advice is remove the red plastic trailering clips before trying to lower the outdrive :laugher: :laugher:
(carried over from another thread)(probably the bucket too :D )

There's a few Marlins on our lake here, but none that style. Sorry no REAL advice, but both pic'd looked cool to me

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
in this market, i'd say 6-8 K, you have to consider the repairs that any boat that age WILL need. I doubt he will have buyers banging down his door.

check to see how the engine is mounted to the stringers, if it sits on top for the stringers they have more of a tendancy to rot, looks like a Bravo or Trs drive? not sure

it kinda looks like an older Nordic

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Your going to go crazy trying to get that red to look good. There is a thread here from LIL RED BOAT about the same topic. He just repainted and the boat looks great but I'm not sure your going to want to invest that time and money.

·
Registered
8,316 Posts
nice looking boat, and looks like a deep vee, and has strakes similar to a 24 pantera, but resale would suck on a no name like that, but lowball the owner an see what ya can get it for.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Lowball the owner - mumble something about "out of production"...."older"...."hassle of re-finishing"....whatever. At 6-7.5k you'd have something out of the ordinary. Have someone give all the mechanicals a good look-over, along with a rot-check. I saw the aqua-one before and thought it looked like a nice boat...is it a 24-degree hull?

·
Registered
9,208 Posts
for less than they are asking not bad... Marlin built some quality boats.. I considered one(but were very hard to find) when I bought my jet boat a few years back.
They are not junk and if you find it to be in decent shape its worth it...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts