Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
I've Survived Everything!
12,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanna save 10% on boat insurance? Call Travelers and buy an electric powered boat!

Here ya go!

Market Outlook
Travelers offering electric boat discount

Boating Industry
Tuesday July 22, 2008

HARTFORD, Conn. – Travelers, a provider of boat and other personal insurance products, is launching an insurance premium discount of up to 10 percent for those owning electrically powered boats, something it believes to be an industry first, the company reported in a statement today.

Travelers said the number of electric boat manufacturers has grown, and there continues to be a demand for electric boats in the current economy. A number of states are designating certain waterways as electric-only navigation. This phenomenon has been a trend in Europe and is now catching on around the United States, the company reported.

Most electric boats cost between $1 to $2 to fully charge for 10 or 12 hours of cruising time, meaning they cost approximately $.10 to $.12 per hour to operate, reported the company. This significantly differs from conventionally fueled boats, which the marine industry estimates use about one gallon of fuel per hour for every 10 horsepower, while diesel engines consume about one gallon of fuel per hour for every 18 horsepower, Travelers stated. Therefore, it would cost about $50 to run a 10 horsepower gasoline engine or an 18 horsepower diesel engine for 10 hours, according to the company. :blush:

·
Premium Member
27,558 Posts
I had Travelers insurance on my cars for 4 years - shame on me for not getting more aggressive and comparing rates. I switched to state farm two months ago and saw my rates go down by 40% on 5 autos.

Travelers is not comepetive rate wise in the state of MD - perhaps on other states, but not here.

·
I've Survived Everything!
12,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They are giving me the lowest rates of all the companies I shopped on my Formula.

I was with State Farm for 20 years until I bought my current home in 1999. State Farm will not insure a waterfront property in Maryland! That was long before the Isabel event too!

I changed from a dedicated agent (representing only one company) to a broker representing 10 or so companies and find that I am paying far less for protection.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts