Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We decided (for the time being) we are keeping our boat. I was cleaning it up a bit and noticed what looked like a "paint" chip to the left of the entrance to our cuddy. I peeled the vinyl crack away and the wood behind it was soaked. There are actually two pieces of wood behind there. One is where the cabinets inside the cuddy screw into and than there is the front piece that the vinyl laminate is glued on to. I dug far enough in to get to the second piece of wood (that the cabinets etc) are screwed into and that wood is solid as can be. This front piece in about a 8"x8" section is pretty mushy...Rest of the boat is pretty solid.(even just above and all around this wet stuff).How would this happen? Is it hard to replace? Should we be concerned?

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Another pic looking at the cuddy entrance

You can't see it here but it would be down at the bottom left. The rest of the wood is solid..

Attachments

·
Registered
961 Posts
I wouldn't be all that concerned, but if you're worried, I'll take her off your hands for ya! :D

Really, it's not structural from what I can see, even looks like something that could be removed and repaired. It's probably crappy wood under there anyway... replace it with something better and enjoy.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
TomZ said:
I wouldn't be all that concerned, but if you're worried, I'll take her off your hands for ya! :D

Really, it's not structural from what I can see, even looks like something that could be removed and repaired. It's probably crappy wood under there anyway... replace it with something better and enjoy.

So I shouldn't take it to the middle of the lake and pull the plug :dead: ......

:devious:

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
You can also call checkmate and ask for Mike in parts. he knows every aspect of these boats and was always helpful every time I had any questions about my checkmate.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I love this place!! always a good laugh.. :winker:

Floor underneath is solid as a rock from what I can tell...The one thing I don't like is the floor (as small as it is) in the cuddy that has a drain hole in it is soft....I think I am going to need to replace that and I don't understand that design...

It is strange the wood all around the opening (where the cuddy door slides back and forth at the bottom and up about 8 inches on each side) is crap to. ( I can pull the molding out that goes around the door and on the bottom it is ruined but once I go up about 10" on each side it is solid as a rock all the way across??

The floor and carpet below it is dry as can be????
I was glad when I went out today that the where it is all rotted does not go into the floor, it just sets on top of the floor and carpeting. So I think I just need to replace the wood etc around the cuddy opening and cut that small floor out in the cuddy.

Didn't help today that we got dumped on in Lake St. Clair like I have never seen...It has been raining non stop hard as hell for 4 hours....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts