Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Innocent Bystander
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished replacing my gimble ring (with a JR Marine Kit) and put the boat in the water for the first time to check for leaks. I heard water coming in and found it coming from what feels like a hose barb fitting at the bottom of the inner transom assembly. Couldn't find a hose that went on it. Any ideas on what it is for?

·
Premium Member
8,666 Posts
if its about a 1/4 inch barb its the speedo

·
Innocent Bystander
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
RSCHAP1 said:
Oh speedometer...not THE "Speedo"

Thank goodness!
I didn't tell you, this is on my 67 foot 'cigarettamaran' that Skip Lamotta built it for me at his restaurant. :winker:

·
Innocent Bystander
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
On another note, I got chewed out by this old guy at one of the local marine shops. I went in to get a part and told them I was redoing the gimble ring. He asked if I pulled the engine or drilled access holes. When I said I cut an access plate he flew off the handle. With about 8 other people in earshot he starts saying "It's a dumb SOB who does that. You messed up bad." Then he starts telling me he talked to an engineer who said cutting that access plate weakens the housing and I'd be fine till I hit something in the water, then the drive would break and I'd have to deal with the propeller flipping up into the boat. I stopped listening when he mentioned he had a friend who had a whole outdrive assembly that might be for sale...

any thoughts?

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
seems like Ron's system has enough fans that I wouldnt be worried. I had the motor pulled to do mine and it cost me a lot more money. Wish I did it ron's way.

on another note, I bought his HD U bolt, the SS plate didnt fit back on beacuse the U bolt was wider. Anyone else have this problem?

·
Innocent Bystander
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My new u-bolt fit fine. I talked to Ron and told him about the guy at the marine parts store. He said to tell him to call merc and they would recommend his kit.

·
Registered
8,878 Posts
Funny how every repair manual I have ever seen shows the access hole getting drill and a plug sold to cap the hole...

Oh by the way, my buddy has---- for sale. Sounds like a pretty bad sales pitch.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts