Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just reinstalled my lower unit. I put the upper shift shaft in forward position (front and back). The lower shift shaft clockwise and turn the prop counter clock wise holding it in lock position put it all together. NOW MY QUSTION IS after it is install and you turn the prop CW it spin’s and then turn it CCW it makes clicking noise is this right or should it lock? Oh, this is while it is still in forward gear. Its a ALPHA 1

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Sounded all good till the end..

It sounds like you did it correctly, but.....
This is how it should go for a standard rotation drive,
In Forward gear, and looking at your prop and stern, if you turn the prop CW it should spin & click, then if you go CCW it Should be Locked.

If you put it in reverse, just the opposite will happen.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fyhr Factor said:

In Forward gear, and looking at your prop and stern, if you turn the prop CW it should spin & click, then if you go CCW it Should be Locked.

Ill ck the reverse tonight and see. However, I know when I go CW it spins and CCW it clicks and no locking is happening.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fyhr Factor said:

OK tried reverse it will do the opposite. I guess my cable might be on the wrong side of the shifter I will have to double ck that. The prop still does not lock in it just clicks as to you turn it. I went ahead and tried under power it goes in gear smoothly in one direction but nothing in the opposite direction maybe a cable adjustment thing? What really is confusing is if it supposes to lock as you turn it by hand why isn’t it doing that?

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
How could the cable get on the wrong side ??? How many things did you change???

I don't know what else you did, but as long as you are Sure the lower shift shaft did not move on you when you were putting it back together, I'd say your cable adjustment is off..
I wouldn't recommend running with power untill you get it adjusted properly 1st.. or you will do damage to your gears in the drive..

·
Registered
70,398 Posts
I just went through this a couple of weeks ago with a friends boat. the shift shaft that runs throu the outdrive might be off a tooth so you may have to separate the lower unit again and adjust the shift shaft and reinstall

·
Registered
320 Posts
You also need to make sure the washer is in place on the lower unit shift shaft. When things get worn and the shift cable is stretched its hard to get them adjusted but it usually can be done. You also have to make sure that the lower is engaged in fwd when you install it. It helps to have some one hold the propshaft while it is lifted into place or it will jump out of gear. Check out mercstuff.com

1 - 7 of 7 Posts