Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
the 22 was too fast 4 its size that is why they quit making it. suprised your insurance does not reflect this fact. 75 in my 28 seems too fast 69 in the 22 has got to be a rush at the least. dont think trim tabs will help a whole lot. need a bigger boat is the answer. have fun for a year or two and when u can afford upgrade to a larger craft!!! stay safe and use your lanyard cut off is that small fast 22!!!!!

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
I have a 99 20' wellcraft excalibur with a big block I have tabs and they do help, I run just a hair under 65 mph (on the gps speedos read about 5 mph faster than you are going) you should be running 69 ish which 454. do you have the 330 or mag motor?

·
Rock Steady
13,139 Posts
I have a 96 22 Scarab. WIth a 2001 MPI 330hp. I assume you are doing about the same speed as me. I open mine up all the time, been running it for almost over 3 years now with no big scares. I do get lots of air, but it flies straight, I do drive it though, not just a steering wheel holder. This boat has a small pad, that will allow it to fly in calm water. Even more in rough water! I don't notice any real loose feeling, but I do like speed and I feel at ease with the wheel in my hand. This is not to say that you can't get in trouble if you don't watch out for wakes and things, it will spin and roll over, not much doubt in that, if you don't take care.

Enjoy it! ANd don't let people tell you its to fast for a 22', their just jealous! But really try to take it slow and learn the quirks about your craft, stay away from turning at high speed, it will roll off the pad, on to its side, and this is when you could hook or roll...

I over night (sometimes over weekend) on mine all the time, I love it! But I do intend to move up next year to around a 30ft. Here is a pic. Lots more in my gallery. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Cool, thanks for the info. Your boat looks identicle to mine. You say you overnight on yours...does the front of yours get wet? Ours seems to take on a bit of water, and then the carpet up front gets wet. We dont' have any sort of pad up front, I know another one that we looked at did, I imagine you do if you're sleeping up there? I'm going to have to see if I can track one down...or just make one. So is there anythine else you've bought for your boat that you would recommend? Right now our boat just has through prop exhaust, I'd like to do silent choice when we get some extra money. I was looking through your gallery...nice R6. I've got a blue 2000, with the 01 undertail, R-1 Forks and a few other things that I've had for about 3 years now. Our boats are almost identicle. The gauges are a little different and mines not MPI, but other than that...we even have that sunbrella thing I saw in one of your pics. I haven't used it yet...what did you attach the front two straps to?

·
Rock Steady
13,139 Posts
OH? I only have the through Hull exhaust.. I want to swith to the CMI exhuast soon, brand new motor and all and the darn Risers are already rusting a little.

So upgrade your exhaust to get the sound then maybe think about getting a bravo or Hydromotive 24 p prop. They run well with this setup. ~68 or so depending on your horsepower. I upgraded the hatch to electric lift, upgraded the sterio, put neons in and red lit gauges. And wax the hell out of it! Its holding up rather well, so I am proud of it for sure!

You might try to seal up the bow some to keep the water out, mine does not leak any. I do have a pad yes. I ordered a new one, it that space age foam type. Its quite comfortable! I have a fan set up, I almost did a hatch a few years ago but decided against it. If it gets to hot I am normally rafted up to bigger boats with air conditioning, so I can chill there. Chat with you later.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I was still editing my post when your replied :) So what do the front straps of the sunbrella attach to? Where did you get the parts for the electric hatch and what did that cost? That would be nice. Also, where did you get the pad?

·
Rock Steady
13,139 Posts
I had to put on a few little eye hooks just in front of the wind deflector. I use these eyes to attach bumpers and the sunbrella. Actually my 1st mate has a place where she is going to get the foam pad. Any matress store has them. Then I am either going to use the other pad underneath or have this one covered. Her is what it looks like now. You may call the Wellcraft folks and see what they say about getting a pad. But since they no longer have the scarab license they may not be helpful.

Now the lift for the motor hatch. I believe you can get these at just about any marine supply store, just have to mount it and run the switch and all. I am not so sure I recommend the one I have though. It has to be mounted on one side of the hatch which puts the hinge in a bind and bends it or pulls away from the transom. I intend on fixing this problem with a heavier hinge or reinforcing it somehow.

Attachments

·
Registered
73 Posts
me and a buddy built this one it was a blank hull it has 550hp 502 full hyd steering (which helps big time) this boat runs 78 on gps no problems it has 380 k planes that also helps . the boat handles much better with a 2inch shorter lower and pics up 3 mph good luck james.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ScarabJ, That's an awesome boat. This probably sounds dumb, but what is a 2inch shorter lower? Are you talking about the outdrive? You can get them in different lengths?

·
Rock Steady
13,139 Posts
I am interested in what he was talking about as well?

I agree that 22 is a bad boat! Love the paint work, and the speed well that speaks for itself... wow :cool:

·
Registered
73 Posts
imco and merc make a shorter lower in 1 and 2 inch shorter lowers when we got the boat it had a 2 x2 hole in the side where a bass boat t boned it had no moter or drive so we tore it down to a bare hull and had the glass work done the just started all over the only thing that is wellcraft is the hull we did every thing new wire harness, hyd steering ,k planes, pop up cleats, all new dash,and i allmost forgot the paint a local race paint shop did it the pics just dont do it.in person it is flawless.. we have a stage 2 procharger in the box just waiting but i dont thing it will be used until it gets the fast ecu system (efi) thanks james..

1 - 20 of 71 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.