Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok Im thinking of getting a k&n filter for my 7.4mpi how many of you have put one on one of these motors and what was the results and how much did it cost? there are a ton of go fast products and half of the are all hype

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hey there CRMAX, Have a 2000 Merc 502 MPI MAG that I put a Vortec flame arrestor/filter on. Cant say I noticed any power improvement, but it did get rid of the vaccume cleaner sucking sound at engine start-up, and got rid of that black exhaust mess on the back of the boat. More importantly though I now have clean air going into my engine. A word of warning however!!! Do NOT buy the Vortec product. The one they sent me was a , "Pre-production model" according to vortec and does not have the SAE J1928 imprint on the filter. This leaves me in technical violation of the flame arrestor regulation. I have been fighting with the company going on a year now to get it replaced. They keep promising but no replacement ever arrives. Stay away from Vortec and stick with K+N.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Does the SAE J1928 have anything to do with USCG approval? I just bought by first boat this spring from a private owner. I question him about any upgrades that are possible or any he has done. One of the things mentioned was a different flame arrestor. He told me not to touch it because aftermarket will not meet Coast Guard Approval. I have not looked into it any further--until reading these articles, now I'm very curious. I do get alot of black exhaust on the back of my boat and would love to get rid of that problem not to mention gain a few RPM's(my brothers jet-ski just crawls by me). I have not questioned anyone until now about the flame arrestors, so I'm clueless. What brand(s)? What has it done......for exhaust residue, for RPM's, overall performance, speed? Where can I get one, how much $?
Boat specs.

1996 Checkmate Convincor 253
454 Mag MPI (385hp at prop)
WOT RPM=4900
G.P.S. w/40 gals gas, single person =63.5mph

·
Premium Member
27,558 Posts
you know; that's a really good question.
I don't honestly know if my K&N Filter on mt 496 meets USCG Approval, but I'll go to the K&N Site and see if I can find our.

I do know that the holley carb on the 454 in my Stingers meets USCG approval because it was fuel bowl vents that curve over to vent fumes back into the carb.....

- jeff

·
Registered
510 Posts
This brings up an interesting topic. USCG approval ?! What makes these K&N filters any different from the non approved ? I have both and there's no difference in appearance ?! One is tested and one is not. So charge extra for that USCG stamp on the filter ring. Realize they do not make a different recharge kit for marine filters ?! Hmmm.............................What a racket !

Anyone have any answers to this ?

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
you got it, but the companies do have to spend the money to have it tested and then get the paper work to prove it and all along the way everyone is getting a cut

·
Registered
510 Posts
Are you looking for an efi or carb'd model ? I bought my carb'd model (K&N stainless stack and filter) from

www.cpperformance.com

it was around $100. I'm not sure if they have the efi models ? I'm sure some one can turn you in the right direction.

·
Premium Member
8,666 Posts
It was big money for the EFI unit, I bought an adaptor from Rex Marine so I can use the 500 efi style K and N ,,,, the whole thing ran me$160 I think,,,, didnt help much, but took away the sucking sound, and it sure does look pretty !!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Summit Racing and Jeg's Performance both have the K&N marine flame arrestors for around $85.00. They tell me their USCG approved. I just ordered one from Summit, so I guess I'll find out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts