Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 3 year old girl that is already grabbing the throttles and is waiting for her day out on the new boat. I also have a 9 month old girl that my wife is nervous about taking out just yet.

How young has anyone taken their kids out?

I read that No Discipline had actually put a car seat in for his 5 yr old. What an idea!

I don't plan on any fast speed with the family aboard. The engines will be way too loud and they may never want to come out again.

Looking for any suggestions and comments. How young is too young?

My 3yr caught the boating disease last year in my 13 footer. So she's hooked for life. I just want to protect them the best I can.... Thanks in advance.

SHARK

·
Premium Member
18,074 Posts
Hey Shark,
My daughter has been on boats and in the water since she was old enough to walk. She is now 23.
She had her own life jacket that fit for whatever age she was at. She also had to sit with an adult until she got old enough to sit alone, but then always with an adult next to her. We never allowed her to play on the seats and only on the deck floor when the boat was stopped. The boat was also never ran fast when kids were aboard. If I tried speeding up a little, the wife would try using an anchor over my head. :D

Anyway, I think good old common sense is your best guide.
Be safe and have fun ! :)

·
Premium Member
27,558 Posts
Karen and I take her son and duaghter often. Althought they spend most weekends with their father, Karen and I suprise them every now and then and we take them out on the boat on a weekend when they're home and we often surpise them with evening trips on the boat (the marina is only a few miles away). Her son is thirteen and daughter is 10 and we always make them wear their life jackets. Karen and I are getting in the habit of also wearing our routinely. Your challenges are certainly different than our somewhat because younger children and like "farts in a windstorm", they're all over the place and you can't take your eyes off them for a minute.

We have friends that have a 32 Sunsation and have 4 and 6 year olds and their kids are always with them and it always seems to work out ok.

best of luck to you...

- jeff

·
Banned
70,398 Posts
When my kids were 1 and 5 my Dad bought a boat. RULES WERE all kids UNDER 16 HAD TO WEAR pfd'S IF THEY WERE ON THE BOAT NO EXCEPTIONS.MY now 21 yr old asked if she still has to wear it when on board. Like somebody said USE COMMON SENSE..p.s. Dad's boat was a 28' 12mph pontoon.;)

·
Registered
375 Posts
my youngest was 4 days old when she went for her first boat ride. Put a good life jacket on her and she has been boating every weekend every summer since.
Mark

·
Premium Member
7,061 Posts
Sharkey,
I don't have any actual experience with infants on boats, but I'll throw in my motherly 2 cents...

I wouldn't take your infant daughter on the boat unless you have a car seat, one that wouldn't become an anchor in the event of a tragedy... otherwise someone must hold the baby, and that means that person and the infant are then in danger of being hurt if the unforeseen happens - and you know it will, just check out Scarab3DMC's Lessons Learned post. And unless you have a cruiser or something with a good bimini top, the direct exposure to the blinding sun and wind wouldn't be good for the baby. You said your pipes are loud, and that too is definitely a reason not to have a baby or young child on the boat... their hearing is much more sensitive than an adult's. And since you'll have your toddler on board, your hands will already be full with her, so I would definitely leave the baby with a sitter until she's older.

Think of it like an amusement park ride... the rides are grouped according to the age and size of the rider. Young children aren't even allowed on the little boat ride that circles them around in 2 feet of water until they're big enough and old enough to understand that they must sit still and hold on. As a parent, you are your child's first line of defense, and the fact that you've asked the question tells me that you take that responsibility very seriously.

Thanks for asking and Good Luck! Post some pictures of your family so we can see these future Fastboaters! :D

·
Premium Member
4,951 Posts
Greeneyedbeacher,

You are a very sensible woman. I think you just let Jeff think he is the master.

Gilla

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Greeneyedbeacher! Yes I do take the responsibility seriously. Especially with all the fatalities lately, I am making it a point for all aboard, No PFD, no ride... If my daughters have to wear them then so will I. This avoids at least one argument.

I set the standards for my two year old at the time, to ride in this...:D

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,061 Posts
Great Shot!!! She looks right at home at the helm! Reminds me of my red-headed daughter when she was little... she's graduating Elementary School tomorrow - I can't believe she's growing up so fast!

Have a great summer on the boat!:D :D :D

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
those pics were from last year, he already jumping in the seat and playing with the throttle at the dock ( no it wasnt running :) )

·
Premium Member
18,074 Posts
crmax said:
he already jumping in the seat and playing with the throttle at the dock
And in a few more months he'll be asking for the keys !
Great looking family you have ! :D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts