Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have an 89donzi 25 w/a 460/king cobra drive. last week i was going about 50 and it just popped out of gear. the shifter goes into fwd but the prop doesn't spin. when i try to put it in reverse it wants to stall. i talked to my buddies mechanic who said i did not blow my gears and sounded like he knew exactly what it was but didn't tell me. i'm still waiting for a call back from him, sounds like he's too busy like everybody else. anyway, i'm pretty handy and might be able to fix it myself if i knew where to start. anybody got an idea ? gotta get back on the water

·
Registered
8,316 Posts
cable stretch, not going fully into forward gear, and resting on the shift interrupt in reverse, it may be able to be adjusted out, but I would replace the cable, and adjust properly.

·
Registered
5,586 Posts
probally somethiing with the shift interupter, my father has had the same problem with his 89 Donzi

Attachments

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
I had an 1988 460 King Cobra several years ago (23' Sunbird Eurosport). They (King Cobra drives) were known to be problematic with their shift interrupt switch with some age as RSCHAP1 mentioned above. You can try to bend the the little lever a tad, but first adjust the cable forwards/backwards to see if it has impact.

I had incidents where i couldn't get it out of forward gear approaching the dock (no shift interrupt to allow it to disengage forward gear meaning it kept tension) and had to literally shut it down and drift in.

I did love the ease in which one could change an impeller though. I wish Mercruiser would take note.

·
Registered
8,878 Posts
I had looked at an older Liberator once that had easily spotted repairs up in the bow. Original owner said he was unable to get reverse as he approached a dock too fast. Shifter went FWD to REV position, but throttle increased RPMs as he pulled back further on the handle, he was still engaged forward. Sent dock post through the front of his new boat. He said OMC paid Four Winns for the repairs...Just his story as a seller, but I had trouble with mine with an old cable that led me to believe "IT COULD HAPPEN"... Good Luck with the fix!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts