Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a previous thread in the general boating discussion on my newly bought liberator 211 with a 454 that wasnt running after year and a half of storage..

anyways...

i bought a new battery...fired her up...stayed idle for about 4-5 seconds and then stalled.

Now it will turn over but wont start..

could there be problems with the fuel? Someone recommended to replace the fuel water separator filter and i bought one. I cant seem to find the exact location....is it one the bottom by the flywheel?

i would really like this to be the end of my problems and get the engine started and running by this sunday..

thanks...

this is my first performance boat if you can call it so after this...i think its off to the mechanics..

·
Registered
902 Posts
If the fuel is a year and a half old it is not any good, especially if it is eth fuel. I would drain it out and replace. Or you can try starting the boat from another source of fuel, Be Careful! Also replace the filter and water seperator.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, i think im just going to take the fuel out but how would i do that?...siphon kit from the hardware store or how do you guys suggest doing it?

and replacing the filter...does it require any special tools at all?...i tried unscrewing it with my hands...but no dice.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
If the fuel is 1-1/2 years old, then #1, it's probably bad, you may need to get it pumped out..
#2, if the previous owner left the fuel in the carb for that long, the inside of your carb could have varnished a bit..

But the 1st I would check is...
Test the fuel pressure, I wouldn't be too surprised if your fuel pump is shot.. :winker:

·
Registered
635 Posts
cigsmoker first thing i would try is pour a 1/4 cup of gas down the carb and see if it starts if it does then you know it is a fuel problem. there is an anti siphon valve in the gas tank in case of sinking or a rollover gas will stay in the tank its like a ball **** and if the boat has been setting for a while the varnish can keep the fuel flow low and make it seem like a bad fuel pump or filter.

if the boat doesnt start after you pour gas in the carb i would take the distributer cap off and with some very soft sand paper or emry cloth clean the points off and check for moisture.

and as usual check and clean all the wires that are connected to the starter and coil and even at night you can turn it over and see if there is any spark jumping around if so you have found your problem.

on another note i would go to the parts store and get some SEA FOAM this stuff is remarkable will really clean the fuel system to a like new condition.

hope this helps gregg :cool: :cool:

·
Registered
8,878 Posts
I pass you each time I head to the In Laws then. Doubt we'll make Hot Boat this year. New Baby girl this summer has "changed" things a bit. It's been a few years since we've hit Coast Guard or Hot Boat. Always had a GREAT time at Hardy for that though. Miss IT! (Ya never know maybe in the next few weeks I can work the wife and son into it...) COOL to see all the hardware that shows up there!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.