Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Probably you're right. I was just trying to guess at the bottom paint alone as I gained more than just 5mph with everything all said and done. I'm sure the x-dimension adjustment was the biggest one though.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Bop said:
And after:
my 88 scarab has bottom paint, been thinking about taking it off, but also decided it wasn't anything I personaly wanted to get involved in. How much did it cost? I'm more concerned about finding someone around here that will take if off without sanding through to the carpet!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I just sanded the bottom paint off my 28 ft Century myself, YOU DON"T WANT TO DO IT! Will NEVER do it again. used a D.A. sander and it look a very long time and very messy. couldn't tell you about bring back the original shine because I had the boat repainted. just wanted to let you know its a nasty job.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My liberator is only getting a top speed of 40. I habe a fresh 454 magnum on a fresh rebuilt alpha 1 drive with the 1.32 gear ratio. I soda blasted the bottom this year. Put 3 coats of barrier coat and 1 coat of paint. ShE LOOKS FAST ONLY. What can i do? Right now the only prop thats plaining me off is a 15x15. i tried a 15 17 and a 15x19 and the results werent good.

Please help me?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I stripped my bottom on my 1987 Liberator with Baking soda in a sandblaster machine. I used 12 50lb bags of baking soda and took my bottom right back nto the fiberglass. i removed atleast 18 coats of bottom paint. Took 7 hours and $350 in materials.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Baking soda and TOP SPEED update

Well it sounds like baking soda might be the way to go, but I will definitely look into the enamel reducer (Bottom Kote).

Red_Liberator, do I need a special blast gun or can I use my generic siphon feeding sand blaster?

And now for an update on the Top Speed of my 241 Liberator. Previously I was barely hitting 38 MPH (GPS) full tank of fuel (100gl) at 4400 RPMs with a questionable Mercury Marine Offshore series 21P 4 blade prop. I say questionable because the local prop shop claims it was a stainless prop based on the number (I never actually took it to them). I know the difference between stainless and aluminum, I work in a machine assembly facility where I'm surrounded by metal all day. Myself and others thought the blades may be flexxing causing the prop to lose pitch, the local shop guys disagreed.

Well I purchased a used Mirage Plus 21P. And Damn what a difference!!! I hit 48 MPH down river with a half tank of fuel yesterday. 46 no problem. Now my RPMs are down to 4250 so I think I will try a Mirage Plus 19P if I come accross one at the right price.

Thanks again to y'all and your recommendations. Now I can start playing with engine (7.4 MPI) to sueeze more HP out of it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Apologies for bumping such an old thread but I’m new here & just read the whole thing & have ?’s…
1st, what an awesome group involved in this thread.. Very helpful & informative…

2nd: I keep hearing conflicting comments about the liberators. It’s classified as a performance boat but yet I hear a vast majority of people saying that liberties are not fast boats due to their weight and hull design. I also see many posts about liberators doing high 50s to mid 60s all the time with some doing high 60s and even some 70s. If that’s not considered pretty fast then what are the boats that ARE considered fast running on average?
Or when they say they are not a fast boat are they referring to the hole shot up to WOT?
Thirdly, Would a 241 with the stock 460 w/king cobra OMC outdrive perform similar to the OP’s?
I am looking at a 91 with that engine combo and it is currently maxing out around 52ish but has a stock prop on it.
Can probably get the boat for a little over 3K.

·
Registered
6,711 Posts
Not trying to be a wiseass, but "fast" is a relative term. How fast do you want to go, and how much $$ are you willing to pay out to go fast? Most any boat will go fast with enough HP. I had a 23 ft. Wellcraft Nova that would get into the low to mid 80's with just shy of 700 HP. That's fast for that hull... too fast to be safe, and the HP it needed to go that fast was expensive, to me.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts