Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner

Liberator 241 top speed?

17K views 52 replies 24 participants last post by  Kidnova 
#1 ·
Hey everybody, I bought my first boat a few months ago ('89 LIberator 241) after spending last summer on an '88 211. The previous owner repowered my 241 with a 7.4 MPI so i thought this boat might scoot. Well I was wrong. The 211 would do 55 GPS'd anyday with 2 ppl. I can only get my 241 up to 38 GPS'd with two ppl and full tank of gas. The prop is a Merc Marine Offshore Series 48-825902A 46 21P 4 blade aluminum. 1.50 ratio. My max RPM has been 4700. Doing the math I've got about 39% prop slip. The boat does have bottom paint which I thought might add some drag. Any suggestions on how to make this boat faster or is this what I get for having such a big heavy boat and a stock big block?

Thanks for any input.

#52 · (Edited)
Apologies for bumping such an old thread but I’m new here & just read the whole thing & have ?’s…
1st, what an awesome group involved in this thread.. Very helpful & informative…

2nd: I keep hearing conflicting comments about the liberators. It’s classified as a performance boat but yet I hear a vast majority of people saying that liberties are not fast boats due to their weight and hull design. I also see many posts about liberators doing high 50s to mid 60s all the time with some doing high 60s and even some 70s. If that’s not considered pretty fast then what are the boats that ARE considered fast running on average?
Or when they say they are not a fast boat are they referring to the hole shot up to WOT?
Thirdly, Would a 241 with the stock 460 w/king cobra OMC outdrive perform similar to the OP’s?
I am looking at a 91 with that engine combo and it is currently maxing out around 52ish but has a stock prop on it.
Can probably get the boat for a little over 3K.

#53 ·
Not trying to be a wiseass, but "fast" is a relative term. How fast do you want to go, and how much $$ are you willing to pay out to go fast? Most any boat will go fast with enough HP. I had a 23 ft. Wellcraft Nova that would get into the low to mid 80's with just shy of 700 HP. That's fast for that hull... too fast to be safe, and the HP it needed to go that fast was expensive, to me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.