Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now, i found a great deal down the street, for 7k. its a 1987 Four Winns Liberator 211 with a Merc 454 with only 144 hours on the meter!!! Everything is original, it comes with the trailer which the owner says has been traveled less than 100 miles in total.

Is this a good deal, ive been looking on craigslist and all libbys are 9k + with only 350s.

The boats owner is 74 years of age and hes only selling because of medical expenses, its been sitting in his garage for 2 years now....anything i should check for??!! I think it needs a tune up because of the time its been sitting there...

Is the 454 a good motor for the 211??

Ive been looking for a small performance boat for a while under 10k. Ive been riding sailboats for 15+ years and PWCs for over 5 but i want to see whats its like traveling 55+...in a 21 foot boat and loud exhaust.

What should i look for in the test drive which im going to take later this week?

My main concern is my wife, who talked with her friend and shes saying thats its real easy to spend 1000 dollars of gas in 3-4 days. I dont believe her. Whats the fuel economy like in the libby with a 454, i havent found any forums or any info on the GPH on this. Im estimating 15-25 GPH at cruising rpm.

Whats the ideal cruising rpm on this and whats the cruising GPH?

I also own an Land Rover LR3 with a v8 and a 2007 Ford Explorer v6, im guessing the Lr3 would be more competent for the towing.

Anything at all i should be concerned about with Liberators??

Thanks,

Cigsmoker, soon to contribute more to speedwake and real excited to get into performance boating!

·
Registered
8,878 Posts
Fine boat, and set up. Probably an Alpha drive if stock. Take it easy on it and it will live. 211 is a nice rig. Overall condition will dictate value. That is middle of the road price. If it's mint $7k is good. Rough that would be TOP dollar. Pics could help get ya more info.
It will eat a good amount of fuel if you are running it hard. It is a BIG BLOCK. But comparitively not the worst as it is a "smaller" boat. They are big and heavy for a 21'. A newer 20 foot production v-6 boat will probably go just as fast and use less than half the fuel due to it's lighter hull and newer bottom design, but the 211 will handle rougher stuff.
Good Luck! I had a 1989 with a 350 KingCobra and enjoyed it.

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
well it sounds a little too good to be true to me, but I've been wrong before. yup alpha's were teamed with alpha's back in 87 easy on the hole shot and reentry and it'll be fine. as far as gas consumption I think your estimated numbers are a bit high. I'd guess more in the neighborhood of 12 gph cruising. I run a small block so I'm no authority on thirsty big blocks. as far as things to look for I'd jump around on the floors to feel for weak spots, and look for signs of rot in the stringers, you can usual get a peak at the stringers in the engine bay and some times by any in floor storage. good luck keep us posted. :bigsmile:

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
$1000 in three days for that boat is entirely possible, but you probably won't do that very often.

That sounds like a fair price for a boat of that age and motor as long as its fairly clean for the age.

You will enjoy that boat on Lake St. clair for most days, it will kick up a bit rough for that boat from time to time but not often enough to worry.

·
Registered
5,508 Posts
Libs are great boats. As far as the fuel you will burn about 14-16 GPH at 3000-3500 rpm cruise. So, you would have to travel quite a bit to spend $1000 in a weekend. Of course you could do it but you don't HAVE to.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Sounds like a good deal. $1000 in 3-4 days holly chit where you going London :laugher: . I got a 241 Libby with 454 mag $150 gets me through a full weekend and then some. 7K sounds decent depends on over all condition. I would definitly have the boat serviced before using, get the outdrive serviced and change the oil and filter run some injector cleaner seeing how its sat for 2+ years.

·
Registered
903 Posts
SweetEmotion said:
Sounds like a good deal. $1000 in 3-4 days holly chit where you going London :laugher: . I got a 241 Libby with 454 mag $150 gets me through a full weekend and then some. 7K sounds decent depends on over all condition. I would definitly have the boat serviced before using, get the outdrive serviced and change the oil and filter run some injector cleaner seeing how its sat for 2+ years.
:laugher: :laugher: My big block gets about 2.5 mpg in a Nova Spyder 23, my old liberator with a 350 got just a little bit better but not much

·
Registered
5,508 Posts
To put it in perspective let's say you get 2.0 miles per gallon at cruise and gas is $4 a gallon. You'd have to go 500 miles to burn $1000! That's ALOT of cruising. :D

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
Hmmmmm I have a 70 gallon tank, its EASY for me to burn through a tank a day. 3 tanks would equal just shy of 1,000 dollars (right around 900, then factor in all the oil I burn and I've hit a grand for the 3 day weekend.

Of course maybe thats why my motor blew up? My throttle is like a switch.

·
Registered
5,508 Posts
UP_ROKTOY said:
Hmmmmm I have a 70 gallon tank, its EASY for me to burn through a tank a day. 3 tanks would equal just shy of 1,000 dollars (right around 900, then factor in all the oil I burn and I've hit a grand for the 3 day weekend.

Of course maybe thats why my motor blew up? My throttle is like a switch.
Oh, I'm not saying you can't. :D

I've went through a tank in one day but not very often. And you can control always how much you run. I have friends that burn about 10-15 gallons for the day!

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
blackhawk said:
Oh, I'm not saying you can't. :D

I've went through a tank in one day but not very often. And you can control always how much you run. I have friends that burn about 10-15 gallons for the day!
I'm with you. My average day is a 20-30 gallon burn, and that still includes a lot of running. :D

·
Registered
647 Posts
My 383 has more HP than your stock 454 but it is in a lighter boat - a 201 Libby. It gets about 3-3.5 mpg at cruise. I have tested it several times, but it is always an average over 1-2 days of use, including no-wake speeds, slow speeds, cruise speeds and WOT speeds. The overall average speed is usually 20-35 mph. Running at WOT burns a lot of fuel.

·
Registered
132 Posts
You guys are just making me feel bad now.... I pretty sure I'm down in the 1.1-1.3 mpg range depending on how fast I "need" to get there. While it would be easy to do, I still haven't spend $1,000 in one weekend though....... I will say that with a new boat you will probably burn more fuel than you would if it had been around a while.

That Libby sounds like a nice boat - Post a few shots of it when you are going through the test. If you don't want to do a full blown survey it is never a bad idea to find a friend's trusted mechanic to take a look at the boat before you get to the final step. Usually they won't charge much for the hour or two they will spend on it and can usually give you a realistic idea of how much you will be spending on known maintenance issues and repairs over the first few months of ownership.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
SweetEmotion said:
Sounds like a good deal. $1000 in 3-4 days holly chit where you going London :laugher: . I got a 241 Libby with 454 mag $150 gets me through a full weekend and then some. 7K sounds decent depends on over all condition. I would definitely have the boat serviced before using, get the outdrive serviced and change the oil and filter run some injector cleaner seeing how its sat for 2+ years.
Ditto.. on everything he said :laugher: :laugher:

$150 sounds a bit more realistic..and you may not even spend that...

And I just finally finished using my gas from last season.. :shocked: :laugher:

2 mpg may sound bad, but remember that's only when your moving.. Most people don't drive their boat All day without doing some stopping, drifting, anchoring, rafting or whatever, and that usually takes up more time than the driving...

So don't sweat the fuel usage...if you worried about gas, get a sailboat.. :D

·
Registered
647 Posts
If you are worried about gas, you can always break down and get towed in. I have done it many times in the past. My boat has been rock solid for the last year since the Bravo was installed.

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
I think a good budget number when factoring in your fuel usage is $100 a week, definitely something you have to consider. You will spend money on repairs on an 87', no way around it, the reapirs are what kills ya. :dead1:

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Granted I run a 325 hp small block, but I generally only spend $50-$75 a day on fuel. It is all gonna depend on how far you push that stick!

·
Registered
594 Posts
you want to talk fuel............42 outerlimits........1200hp sterlings..........100 gallons per hour per motor of hp race fuel.........but at 140mph who cares..........

1 - 19 of 19 Posts