Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
70,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok. for all guys that keep your boat spotless, what do you recommend to keep slime and lake erie crap off the botttom of your boat? leave the boat in the water for more than 10 hours on the river and the boat gets dirty water lines. also looking for something to keep it off of a large inflatable rib. the back of the tubes are always in the water. it is a pain in the ass to keep scrubbing that off. thanks in advance.

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
I'll admit, I am anal when it comes to keeping it clean, but when it comes to water lines and such, the best you can do is just give it a scrub with a brush each day it is in the water. Thats the best that I have found. I've tried different waxes but they don't last long. All I do when I keep it in the water for the week is each day after work when I get home I give it a quick scrub. I have run into dead ends trying to find the perfect product. I cannot! Even some of those speed cotes and bottom waxes, I have talked with them on cleanliness. I would do it if only to keep the bottom clean, but they tell me there is not much of an advantage. So ....square one.
Let us know if you find some miracle product.

P.S. the Fountain of youth product is as good as it gets. I use the stuff lots. Kevin is the guy you want to talk, he has the product for any finish.

·
Premium Member
27,558 Posts
I have a mask and snorkel...

When the boat is in the water over the weekend, I don a life vest, put on the mask and snorkel, tie a lie to the boat and scrub it down from in the water. It's tough to get the scum along the water line when leaning over the deck with a soft brush on the end of a pole which is why I resort to the mask & snorkel routine. I use the line tied to the boat to keep from being pushed away from the boat as I'm scrubbing.

- jeff

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
I was wondering what you did Jeff! Maybe when I am older I'll have to resort to a life vest and a rope. You know when I'm 50 or so!:laugher: :laugher: :laugher:

·
Founding Member
923 Posts
I just tried a new experiment this last weekend. This is the first year in 3 I've had to use acid to get the yellow off the boat. Not sure why this year and not the last two. I've put 7 coats of wax on my boat in the last month.

My experiment was cleaning the boat with acid, then putting two fresh coats of wax (Dolphinite is what I used). i did the bottom, but only the front part which isn't on the running surface. (That you just have to use acid on when it gets yellow.)

Anyhow, pulled out of the water after 5 days. Wiped it off, a a little yellow on it (I did wipe it in the water each day with a sponge), and came home and re-waxed it and the yellow came out. The last time, I didnt' wax it, just acid washed it, and the yellow came back and was not able to wax it out. So, trick is to have a fresh coat of wax or two on the water lines. (each time you go out, which is a chitload of work)

So, at this pace, I'll have waxed my boat 30 times or so this summer. LOL! I didn't want to use the acid this time, cause I waxed the damn trailer and the acid takes the freaking wax off. AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!

I use the Works Tub & Shower cleaner on the drives, etc with a scouring pad/sponge and clean up anything on the transom that way. Clean the k-planes VERY nice. Gets rid of those water deposits where the water sits in the wells of the tops of the planes. You can spray it on, let it set, and rub off and rinse. In the hard to reach places, I use a Q-tip to get the scum off. Slick cleaner.

Boating = 40 hours of work = 8 hours of play

Mark

·
Banned
70,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the water in the st johns river leaves a nice satin as well, the stuff to use is called y10 it is blue, and available in any marine store. the only draw back is you must wax the boat again. it takes all the stains of including the yellow. let me know the outcome.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts