Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know where some of the old Magnum race boats are? They may be laying around the corner of some yard or in a garage or shed somewhere.

A lot of people are trying to find some of them. We have a new organization where they can run and be seen and appreciated.

HISTORIC OFFSHORE RACE BOAT ASSOCIATION

HORBA
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
RCHEVELLE71 said:
How about an old Pantera??

As long as it has a real race history and is older than a 1991...Pantera's are very acceptable...they are great race boats and have an excellent reputation.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,316 Posts
HORBA said:
As long as it has a real race history and is older than a 1991...Pantera's are very acceptable...they are great race boats and have an excellent reputation.
There lies the problem, I cant find the history, I am sure it was raced(I am restoring it, and I can see the scars :eek: ), but most likely not on a national level, so nobody seems to recognize it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
RCHEVELLE71 said:
There lies the problem, I cant find the history, I am sure it was raced(I am restoring it, and I can see the scars :eek: ), but most likely not on a national level, so nobody seems to recognize it.
That is exactly why I put together the people on the Advisory board that I did.

One of the people is Pepe Nunez, who built that boat. If it raced anywhere, he would probably know about it and that is all we would need to get you in.

If you can give me some background info, such as the HIN off the transom, I'll ask Pepe and see if we can help you with the search for info, maybe even find some past owners.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,316 Posts
HORBA said:
That is exactly why I put together the people on the Advisory board that I did.

One of the people is Pepe Nunez, who built that boat. If it raced anywhere, he would probably know about it and that is all we would need to get you in.

If you can give me some background info, such as the HIN off the transom, I'll ask Pepe and see if we can help you with the search for info, maybe even find some past owners.
Charley,

Here is the HIN,

RI200133F581

I bought it from Angel Martinez in Miami, he bought it from Dave Bennett in Stratford CT, word is that it sat in a Warehouse in Viginia before that, and before that it was raced, possiblu in some divisional stuff either around Virginia, or the New england area.

Rick
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
RCHEVELLE71 said:
Charley,

Here is the HIN,

RI200133F581

I bought it from Angel Martinez in Miami, he bought it from Dave Bennett in Stratford CT, word is that it sat in a Warehouse in Viginia before that, and before that it was raced, possiblu in some divisional stuff either around Virginia, or the New england area.

Rick
I spoke to Pepe and he said that boat was raced, he will try to dig around and find more info as to where and when and by whom, but it is a former race boat......and that means that it does qualify for memberhsip in HORBA.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,316 Posts
HORBA said:
I spoke to Pepe and he said that boat was raced, he will try to dig around and find more info as to where and when and by whom, but it is a former race boat......and that means that it does qualify for memberhsip in HORBA.
Thanks for the help Charley,

now for my next question, how original does it have to be, I was going to modernize the boat, since it is already torn down, and I have all of the parts, but I can do the paintwork any way we need to, it was originally white with purple and blue stripes around the hullsides(I can see traces of this when I sanded it down), then at some point, it was painted black with the Bad Company. I was going to do it as "Flashback", White boat with silver Hullsides with Purple writing, and Pantera eyes towards the back.

If Pepe comes back with Definite info on what it looked like, I will do it any way the man tells me :D

Rick
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
RCHEVELLE71 said:
Thanks for the help Charley,

now for my next question, how original does it have to be, I was going to modernize the boat, since it is already torn down, and I have all of the parts, but I can do the paintwork any way we need to, it was originally white with purple and blue stripes around the hullsides(I can see traces of this when I sanded it down), then at some point, it was painted black with the Bad Company. I was going to do it as "Flashback", White boat with silver Hullsides with Purple writing, and Pantera eyes towards the back.

If Pepe comes back with Definite info on what it looked like, I will do it any way the man tells me :D

Rick
Rick, the main thing is that you have fun......with the real famous boats, like KAAMA or Benihana, we would really discourage someone from taking one of those and painting it red and pink and calling it Satan's Spawn.

Everybody else, if the boat is a real racer, come and enjoy yourself and let the people see where the sport came from.

The boats from the 60's were so primitive, it is hard to believe the crew didn't get killed in a normal race.

Here is the cockpit from Ghost Rider. The little blue gauge on the side of the console was the speedometer. The boat could run in the high 80's with the turbocharged engines, but raced mainly in the 60's
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,316 Posts
HORBA said:
Rick, the main thing is that you have fun......with the real famous boats, like KAAMA or Benihana, we would really discourage someone from taking one of those and painting it red and pink and calling it Satan's Spawn.

Everybody else, if the boat is a real racer, come and enjoy yourself and let the people see where the sport came from.

The boats from the 60's were so primitive, it is hard to believe the crew didn't get killed in a normal race.

Here is the cockpit from Ghost Rider. The little blue gauge on the side of the console was the speedometer. The boat could run in the high 80's with the turbocharged engines, but raced mainly in the 60's
and I see the sink, and cooktop are still in ther, just in case you get thirsty, or hungry :laugher: :laugher:

Thanks again Charley,

I'll finish her as planned, and see when we get to an event, may not make it up North, but we are definitely in for anything here in the south, and Key West for sure.

Rick
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
mach 1 said:
Maybe you can help Solo with any history on his old bertram?
http://www.speedwake.com/upload/showthread.php?postid=317869#post317869
We think that we found the original owner of the boat, and he said that on the transom....above the hull, on the deck, he had two cutouts in the shape of the letter N for Needle Nose......if you look at the photos of that part of the boat, it looks like two patches are placed there, maybe they are covering the original coutouts.

Have Solo look under those patches or look from the inside of the deck.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Never heard from Solo on that Bertram.....maybe he sold it?

Off to the Miami Boat Show and the warm weather for a couple of weeks....so I'll leave you some photos to keep you warmed up until I return......work on the HORBA website is progressing...should go up quick when I get back.

Thanks for your patience.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You often hear all kinds of stories about Don Aronow...this photo is of him giving a$500,000 donation to a black university outside Atlanta....just trying to give back to those who didn't have as much.

Not as racy as some of the other stories about him, but part of the overall man.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Don sitting behind the helm of one his favorite creations....the 28SS Cigarette.

This boat was built off the bottom design of the famous #4 Magnum that he won the World Championship in.
 

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top