Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the next few months I'm going to be looking for a set of heads to replace my stock centerbolt 217 64cc heads. I've toyed with the ideas of Vortecs with screw-in studs or just upgrading to ProComp 190 Aluminum heads for 150 or so more bones. I can get the ProComps shipped for 725 and the vortecs with upgraded springs and screw in's for about 550-600. I'm worried about loosing a ton of weight in the rear of the boat and hurting performance. I dont have a "race inspired" hull by any means. Gas tank is centered though. People would say save your money and buy a fast boat, but in all reality I love my boat. Its in MINT shape and serves the 2 of us very well. I'm just lookin for a little more gravy. Any thoughts? The shortblock is sound so the stock 350 SB will be around for awhile.

·
Registered
8,878 Posts
I really don't think loosing weight would hurt your performance. If by some stretch it did...
Adjust stuff in the boat. Add a battery, move anchor from bow locker, to under the hatch etc...

·
Premium Member
12,363 Posts
The Vortec heads work great for a mild 350. I`d add a little more camshaft while you`re in there.

Did this on a friends 20' bowrider a few years ago ---

Vortec heads
RPM intake
600 Edelbrock marine carb
Comp Extreme Marine cam

---- picked up 5 mph top speed and much more low-end torque.
Had to swap to next pitch up on prop.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
RSCHAP1 said:
I really don't think loosing weight would hurt your performance. If by some stretch it did...
Adjust stuff in the boat. Add a battery, move anchor from bow locker, to under the hatch etc...
...add a GIRL :D

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Don, which cam did you go with? I currently have a 214/220 450/465 112 Crane cam in there now. Still smaller then the 270HR came some people go with. I was even thinking the LT4 cam since its almost identical to the 270HR

Good advise about the women. I'll have to see if the future mrs agrees. Shes going to want dudes and thats not cool. I'm not going to have a sausage fest on my boat LOL

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Shaving some weight off will only help your speed, not hurt it..
If it did, then add 1 lean girl in a bikini for ballast, but no guy's , their too heavy... :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts