Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was out the other day, then the steering got really tight and "sketchy" feeling. So I pulled the pump dipstick, only to discover it was bone dry with some residual left in the base of the reservoir. I refilled it, and it works okay, but I don't see any leaks anywhere indicating a loss. What should I be looking at, besides the pump, lines, and actuator?

·
Platinum Member
1,495 Posts
I've had the line the connects to the cooler loosen up at the cooler on 2 different boats, maybe you'll get lucky and that will be the same problem for you.... just find the leak, clean it up and tighten the hose clamp.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cfm said:
The cooler. PS fluid could be going into your cooling water and out the exhaust. :eek:
I thought about that. But if that were the case, wouldn't the oil in the reservoir be all milky? This fluid looks perfect, other than the fact that it got low.

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
Tommygun said:
I thought about that. But if that were the case, wouldn't the oil in the reservoir be all milky? This fluid looks perfect, other than the fact that it got low.
MOPOWER had the exact problem. Steering fluid going into the coolant water and out the exhaust. Look at your exhaust real close. It will have signs of pink fluid.

Or bypass the cooler and see if it stops.

Or pull cooler and pressurize it and see if you get bubbles or leaks.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have a question do the alpha drive boats have a seperate cooler for engine oil adn power steering oil or just one unit?

·
Premium Member
6,826 Posts
opie272 said:
MOPOWER had the exact problem. Steering fluid going into the coolant water and out the exhaust. Look at your exhaust real close. It will have signs of pink fluid.

Or bypass the cooler and see if it stops.

Or pull cooler and pressurize it and see if you get bubbles or leaks.
What Opie said. PS pressure is greater than water pressure so I was emptying my PS pump in 15 miles. After the third time , I noticed milky exhaust water from the starboard engine.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did some more checking around, and found ATF dripping off the bottom of the power steering cooler. It was coming from a loose hose clamp on the cooler for one of the power steering lines. Not sure if it was pressure or return, but it was all the way on the back of the engine and a pain to get to. I could easily swivel the line by hand that's how loose it was. Tightened it up, and rechecked the level. I'll have to wait until the next time I run it to see if it's fixed or not.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Boomer said:
I have a question do the alpha drive boats have a seperate cooler for engine oil adn power steering oil or just one unit?
On my alpha drive I do not have an oil cooler. Just came with a PS cooler.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts