Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was anchored in the cove last night kickin it with friends. Down a little ways was a couple cruisers and a houseboat tied up partying away as usual. The next thing I know, the cove is lit up with fire and rescue boats and divers. I just read that a guy fell off a housboat and died. Kinda freaky considering they were no more than 50 yards away from us.

Anyone have more specifics about this. Just doesnt seem possible that something like that could happen with the amount of people they had on board. Seems like someone could have gotten to him in time.

very sad. Guys just out having a good time and something like that happens

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well looks like the full story is out

Louisville man, 50, drowns after falling in Ohio River
The Courier-Journal • August 17, 2008

Read Comments(3)Recommend (8)Print this page E-mail this article
Share this article: Del.icio.us Facebook Digg Reddit Newsvine What’s this?
Emergency crews pulled the body of a 50-year-old Louisville man from the Ohio River early today, several hours after he fell into the water from a houseboat.

William W. Browning, of the 400 block of Breckenridge Lane in the St. Matthews area, was pronounced dead shortly after he was found in a cove on the Indiana side of the river, said Edwin Coots, the Clark County coroner. The autopsy results were consistent with drowning, he said.

Coots said the cove is just upriver from Six Mile Island near a sand and gravel pit along Utica Pike.

A rescue call came in about 12:20 a.m., and Browning’s body was recovered around 3 a.m.

Some of the 11 people on the boat were jumping from the boat’s third and highest deck into the water, said Mick Rutherford, a conservation officer with the Indiana Department of Natural Resources. He said Browning, who was not wearing a life jacket, slipped while trying to climb higher on the boat, then struck the side of the 75-foot-long vessel before landing in the water.

“We always advise people to wear life jackets, and any time at night it’s probably not a good idea to be jumping in the water,” he said.

Alcohol was found on the boat, Rutherford said, but he said it was not believed to have played a direct role in the drowning. No foul play is suspected, he said.
The boat, called Gailandi, docks at the Rose Island Yacht Club in Prospect. Rutherford said its owners were present when the fall happened, but he declined to reveal their names.

The drowning took place at what is informally called “party cove,” an area that is the focus of a legal dispute over public access, Rutherford said.

The Harrods Creek and Louisville fire departments and Louisville Metro Police worked with the Utica Fire Department to search for Browning.

A toxicology report for Browning is pending, Coots said.

·
Registered
5,586 Posts
1rst off thoughts and prayers to the family

2nd Sounds like party cove will be shut down in no time, and why would they print the boats name if they cared about the boats owners name people can put 2 and 2 together pretty easy, sounds like the boat is well known :confused1

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
89donzi said:
1rst off thoughts and prayers to the family

2nd Sounds like party cove will be shut down in no time, and why would they print the boats name if they cared about the boats owners name people can put 2 and 2 together pretty easy, sounds like the boat is well known :confused1

you are probably right. At night its a pretty quiet place. There will typically be a few houseboats and cruisers out but nothing major. During the day its a total different story. From time to time the party gets moved to a different spot. Either up by 12 mile island or grassy flats. Im betting it gets pushed up river a bit...

·
Registered
320 Posts
There is a lot of controversy about the cove - the disagreement seems to center on whether or not the water itself can be considered private property, or part of the river itself, and whether dropping anchor constitutes trespassing.

There are two more coves about 15 miles upriver, but Nugent Sand is still operating in those coves, and they run anyone out of there who ventures in. At some point Nugent will be done mining sand and gravel out of these coves altogether, and at that point a decision will have to be made as to what will become of them. I wouldn't be surprised to see someone buy the adjacent property and put in a marina and overpriced "McMansions", especially the downriver cove.

I am sad for the family of the guy who drowned, and it may have been a simple accident, without alcohol being a factor. However, I fear that it means the end of boaters being able to overnight in this area. It is a shame, because there aren't a lot of places that are safe and away from traffic to anchor overnight, especially close to downtown.

Axkiker, do you hang out above 18-mile island at all? We are up there on that stretch quite a bit - White and blue Baja Force 235 with blue bimini top.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Budman said:
There is a lot of controversy about the cove - the disagreement seems to center on whether or not the water itself can be considered private property, or part of the river itself, and whether dropping anchor constitutes trespassing.

There are two more coves about 15 miles upriver, but Nugent Sand is still operating in those coves, and they run anyone out of there who ventures in. At some point Nugent will be done mining sand and gravel out of these coves altogether, and at that point a decision will have to be made as to what will become of them. I wouldn't be surprised to see someone buy the adjacent property and put in a marina and overpriced "McMansions", especially the downriver cove.

I am sad for the family of the guy who drowned, and it may have been a simple accident, without alcohol being a factor. However, I fear that it means the end of boaters being able to overnight in this area. It is a shame, because there aren't a lot of places that are safe and away from traffic to anchor overnight, especially close to downtown.

Axkiker, do you hang out above 18-mile island at all? We are up there on that stretch quite a bit - White and blue Baja Force 235 with blue bimini top.

No Im not typically up that far but its just because I dont know many people out on the river. most of the people I know are from the harrods creek area.
I typically use the Duffys landing ramp so I dont make it up river much further than Heathers. (Or whatever its called now days)

I would love to meet up with you all one day... Im always up for meeting people to hang with on the river. Im in the baja 272 with purple and black graphics. (pretty much like the 100 others out there LOL)

give me a shout if you would like [email protected]

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Super24 said:
Very sad. :(

Is the water real deep there? Sounds odd that somebody wasn't able to help him if they saw it happen?

yeah water is around 60-70 ft in that cove....

still doesnt make sence to me that someone could not have helped. however I didnt see it happen so who knows.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Not to be morbid, but sometimes when someone hits something on the way into the water the wind is knocked out of them and they go straight down to the bottom. He was probably knocked unconscious and never knew what hit him - hopefully no suffering for him.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.