Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
70,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 Suburban Z-71 which we use as the tow vehicle, and was wondering if anybody here knows if low profile tires would effect the towing in any way. I was thinking of getting some 17 inch rims with wider lower profile tires for the vehicle. I thought about lifting it, and getting bigger tires like our dodge, but it wouldn't fit into the garage anymore. :D

·
Premium Member
8,666 Posts
Just keep the overall diameter of the tire the same and all will be ok,,, available for any tire brand.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
What obnoxus said. If you lift it and put on larger diameter tires, you will reduce your overall ratio and your towing ability will decrease. As long as the new tires are wider without being larger in diameter there should be no noticeable change.

·
Premium Member
18,074 Posts
The biggest problem with larger wheels and low profile tires over your stock ones is that your spring rates will change.
You will get a much harsher ride, especially when towing your boat.
Everyone is correct that if the tire diameter is the same, your gear ratio will also remain the same.
Unless you don't mind a rougher ride, stick with the stock size wheels & tires.

·
Premium Member
4,847 Posts
NASDBOY said:
I have a 2001 Suburban Z-71 which we use as the tow vehicle, and was wondering if anybody here knows if low profile tires would effect the towing in any way. I was thinking of getting some 17 inch rims with wider lower profile tires for the vehicle. I thought about lifting it, and getting bigger tires like our dodge, but it wouldn't fit into the garage anymore. :D
you going to put low profile tires on a Z71? :laugher: :laugher: :laugher: Kind of defeats the purpose of the Z71 package doesn't it?

·
Premium Member
4,847 Posts
You might take the money that you would spend on tires and rims and use it to make you garage door opening taller:laugher: :laugher:

·
Registered
70,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I was thinking about making the garage bigger, but this is just a temporary home for now. The Gm theft in our hood is outrageous, there have been at least 5 Gm's stolen within the past week. I think I will just keep the tires and buy some nice rims. We dont go off roading in the Z, to new and no scratches. The Dodge on the other hand is a mess.

·
Premium Member
8,666 Posts
I dont know,,, the Z-71 package came with some very nice wheels in my opinion,,, I think a aftermarket wheel might make it look cheap,,,, I say leave it stock and spend your money elsewhere !!!!

·
Premium Member
8,666 Posts
Hey,,, what about your clocks and stuff,,,, work a deal with Jeff !!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts