Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay this is the first outdrive of mine that has a low water pickup, and unfortunantly i brought the boat into shallow water by the beach and sucked sand, ruining my water pump.... other boats i have owned have the
intakes on the sides of the drives... they are obviously better for shallow water boating, is there a general preference here as to which is better,

pros and cons on the low water pickup?

should i replace the lower
or just install sea strainers,

avoiding slightly shallow water is not really an option in my area
i just have to use more care when going to these places

any thought or suggestions would be appreciated

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I would definitely put in a sea strainer, I just pop the top off, drain the sand, start it....pop it off again till its all clear....you wont believe the amount of sand that can be pumped in that thing!

·
Registered
700 Posts
Avoid shallow water grounding with any drive. Next, install sea-strainers. Stainless Marine has nice stainless affordable ones that are offered with the hose barbs located in different positions to accomodate any mounting location. Easy to install.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
SuperMan said:
Avoid shallow water grounding with any drive. Next, install sea-strainers. Stainless Marine has nice stainless affordable ones that are offered with the hose barbs located in different positions to accomodate any mounting location. Easy to install.

are the ones at stainless marine like this

and is this the typical price for sea strainers

http://www.cpperformance.com/detail.aspx?ID=7613

1 - 5 of 5 Posts