Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was not going to tell this story, but I figured if I would have read this I would not have allowed myself to make the same (I KNOW WAY BETTER) mistakes.

Yesterday after work I pulled the boat out to clean and gas her up. I do this about every three weeks, so I have a pretty good routine.

I pick up the trailer, borrow my dad’s fourrunner, and head towards the lake. I stoped at wallmart to meet a customer, and have him sign some papers in the parking lot. Then I head inside to get some cleaning supplies.

I pick up 5 bottles of “The Works” toilet cleaner like usual, and set them on the floor behind the driver seat. I get to the lake, back the trailer in, grab the boat from the dock and load it up, all in five minutes. One of my slip neighbors walks over as I am putting the last bow eye strap on, he comments on how effortless I made that look. We talk for a few and I pull the boat up to the water hose and get it clean.

As I am cleaning, some nasty looking black clouds roll in, and thunder in the distance, I double time it and get it done. Time is now 9:30pm, I finish up, and pull the boat a half mile to the gas station. I go inside and give the girl my credit card so the pump won’t shut off at $75.00 and get the gas flowing. The rain starts to come down HEAVY, winds picking up, severe lighting.

45 gallons tops it off, and I head down the road wipers full speed. I get to the ramp, the ramp is a narrow, dark, and no one to help guide me in the dark. I get the boat backed through the gate, and half way into the water.

I get out of the truck; undo the safety chain and safety straps from bow eyes and stern eyes. (see, I am paranoid about a boat sliding off the trailer) Normally I would never unhook the winch strap before I am damn ready to back of the trailer. I guess I let the rain and lighting, and darkness influence a short cut. So I made the mistake and I unhooked the winch strap.

After unhooking the winch strap I hop back in the fourrunner and back down another foot, just enough to let me lightly power off the trailer.

Here is when karma smacks me hard in the face!

I put the parking brake on, and go to get out of the truck, (I am forgetting something, right) the truck starts moving, FAST! I forgot to put it in park, so I am jamming on the gas, four wheels spinning, the four runner trying to pull it’s weight, the trailer, and boat across a broken up ramp. 10 seconds of spinning she grabs and pulls out. I think, WOO HOO made it, followed by of F*&K!!!!!! As I am watching the boat quickly floating out.

The ramp is lined by two sets of old white oak docks with exposed steel hardware, and years of rusty nails. The other side has boats tied up to it.

Remember, lighting, rain, wind!

So I am running down the dock, stripping my clothes, making sure I am not jumping in with a blackberry. THANKFULLY I was able to do a hail Jesus grab and JUST reach the bow rail, pull myself onto the boat.

The one good event is that I left the blower running from the gas station, so I trimmed down, cranked her over, and thankfully she fired right up. Then I fought the wind to back the boat out along the boat slips and got her tied up.

I walked back to the truck, feeling relived I had just survived all of that, hop in soaking wet, no shirt or shoes on. I look at the back seat not remembering when I took the shirt off and there is a puddle of liquid behind the drivers seat.

S&*t! One of the toilet cleaner bottles leaked out!

Damn if it didn’t MELT the carpet into one huge plastic glob!

Lesson learned!

My girlfriend is always calling me Mr. Saftey, and I am, especially when I have guests on board. I KNOW way better, I know to slow down and pay attention, especially when the cards are stacked against me. I am an insurance agent, I have been an insurance adjuster, and I was lifeguard, I am exposed to these events, I have been trained not to make slip ups. However, all that said, I almost won a Darwin award last night! If one other small error had happened I could be in the ER or dead.

So I admit this mistake, write the saga to let you know to watch what you are doing, don’t let the basics bite you in the ***.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
27,558 Posts
thanks - good, but no so good story.....

6 weeks ago I blew a brake line backing down the ramp - talk about sphincter pucker!!!!!

:eek: :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
From last year,

notice gate, long white oat docks, and boats on right side. This year the docks about ten feet over to the right.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Speedwake said:
thanks - good, but no so good story.....

6 weeks ago I blew a brake line backing down the ramp - talk about sphincter pucker!!!!!

:eek: :eek: :eek:
Oh man, with all the weight you have that had to be intense!

I have felt like an absolute a$$hole all day.

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
Personally I think if after all that all you lost was some carpeting you're doing pretty good!!! lets see you could have sunk a truck, ripped up your gelcoat, hit someone elses boat, lost a blackberry, or who knows even hit by lightening! you may consider your experience misfortunate, I see it the other way around. :winker:
in any case thanks for sharing. and hey at least you remembered the drain plug! :bigsmile:

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Oh man one thing right after another, I'm glad your ok.

I also use "The Works" and have been cautious when transporting it as what happened to you is my biggest fear of it.

Now can you claim that?

·
Registered
266 Posts
Rushing to get in the water will always lead to a stupid mistake. Drain plugs left out. straps still attached to transom, truck not in park, etc.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
OPtimus Prime said:
Oh man one thing right after another, I'm glad your ok.

I also use "The Works" and have been cautious when transporting it as what happened to you is my biggest fear of it.

Now can you claim that?
I could under comprehensive.

I called about carpet, $759.00 for jsut the carpet.

My Dad did not seem to mind, I feel horrid, it is his beater car. I am trying to figure out what to do to make it up to him.

**edit** did not mind = insistent it was not a big deal, refused to hear anymore about it

·
Registered
158 Posts
At what point did you put the plug in? :laugher:

Now THAT would've topped this story right off.

Glad to hear it was nothing more than a little messed up carpet (easy fix all considered) and a little pride.

·
Premium Member
27,558 Posts
Dblvanos said:
Oh man, with all the weight you have that had to be intense!

I have felt like an absolute a$$hole all day.
the good news was that I had just unhooked the bow strap and was doing my "final approach" to the water. I never unhook the bow strap until I'm halfway down the ramp. The emergency brake always goes on also before I step out of the truck. I don't care how many people are waiting at the ramp or how tired I am I stick to my procedure.

I remember the value of checklist when I learned to fly years ago. You never took off without going through your checklist first.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
handfulz28 said:
At what point did you put the plug in? :laugher:

Now THAT would've topped this story right off.

Glad to hear it was nothing more than a little messed up carpet (easy fix all considered) and a little pride.
I do have a saftey check for the plug, the wrench and plug go on the drivers seat.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Makin-Memories said:
I agree - as bad as the bad carpet in your DAD's truck is.
It could have been MUCH worse. Learn from it, and count your blessings. :)
The irony is that I bought those nice weathertech floor mats for him just for things like this. He always has gas, and weed eaters back there. The bottle spilled just on the edge so they did not catch all the cleaner.

The cleaner did not even scar the matts.

·
Rock Steady
13,139 Posts
Wow what a story/night......

Glad you survived it ok.... Chit definitely happens... and when it rains it pours

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
dont be so hard on yourself, we've all done stupid things at one point in our life.

while I was reading I thought you were going to say the boat slid off the trailer onto the ramp because the bow hook was off.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
I've been holding back on this story...

But, if it makes you feel any better to know that we've all done things we regret.

Two weeks ago I drilled three screws through the port side my own hull.

Cost me a $1,000 in fiberglass repairs - or as I prefer to think of it.

$333.33 per act of STUPIDITY !

The insurance company paid to have the other damages repaired.
(someone turning, ran an anchor down the starboard side last year).

Silver lining - now I have a hull that looks like it was just put in the water.

Focus on the positive - the negative sucks ! :)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts