Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
70,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. I'm looking for anyone here that has made the leap from a Deep-V to a Cat. I'm interested in hearing what everyone has to say and I know everyone will have their own opinions. Do you think you made the right decision by switching? As you know, I am a huge fountain fan and have been lookig around at some pre-owned boats. I have been for a few rides in cats and the rides have been unbelievable. I know that they are completely different when it comes to handling characteristics, but there is something that really makes me want to explore them a little more. Was it hard to get used to? What about handling the chop? I spoke with Jim from Awesome Powerboats and I really think they make a kick ass looking boat. And the best part is that you still have living comforts below. That is very important for me as I spend alot of time sleeping on my boat. What about trailering and dry racking? This seems like it will be a major pain in the ass, but maybe i'm wrong. Well since this board is to post opinions and offering advice, I thought this would be the best place to start. Any opinions would be appreciated. I also wanted to say that this is a GREAT place and I am really happy to be a part of it. Keep up the great work and let's keep up with all the posts. We need to let poeple know that this is the BEST board out there. Have a safe and happy boating weekend.:yak: :bigsmile:

·
Registered
753 Posts
I'm a V person , probably always will (unless I can afford a 46 Skater) , but I always hear that people have gone for rides in cats and the ride was"unbelievable" .
I've only been in a few cats, 28 Redline raceboat (we ran around 100mph) , 30 Eliminator (80mph) and a 28 Warlock (80mph) and just don't see the "unbelievable " ride quality.
Yes , when we were running 100 in the raceboat we were quartering 3fter's ,something I would not be doing in my boat. The ride was very impressive.
The thing I notice is for everyday cruising (50-60mph) the boats I have been in seem to ride as rough , if not more than a V hull. Plus the handling characteristics seem weird at those speeds.
Plus I think allot of them porpoise at slower speeds.
If all out speed is what you want a cat is the only way to go. But if you spend most of your time cruising make sure you test the boats at a cruising speed.

Good luck and have fun.

·
Registered
21 Posts
had a lot of v bottoms then bought a 39 express cat had a cabin with lg berth the cat felt funny at first but the more i used the more i liked it have a 46 skater now and yes to trailer is a pain but they do dry stack them.All the pros of cats outweigh the cons love my cat Tom

·
Premium Member
7,061 Posts
From my ONE experience on a cat, I'll say the ride was an all-out thrill, but the boat was in the hands of a VERY experienced cat driver. I think the whole cat experience would depend largely on how the boat is matched to the water you're on (same as any boat). The Chesapeake Bay can be very choppy and full of wake activity, and the guy driving the Skater we were on was telling us that his boat wasn't 'happy' until it hit 65 or 70, and at that point you're not cruising anymore, you're taking off. Unfortunately you don't always have the luxury of perfect water for going fast around here, so to me it seemed like the driver would always be on the edge of his seat.

If you're into going fast and looking cool, you can't beat a cat, but for me, I also enjoy relaxing and cruising every now and then, and weekending on the boat in comfort is a must for us. I made up my mind that day to stick to a V and just be happy bumming rides on a cat whenever I feel the need to put my heart rate in the danger zone! Besides, I hear Skater's making a V boat... hmmmmmmm - best of both worlds, perhaps? ;)

·
Banned
70,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I went from a cat to a V. I had a 27' Eliminator Daytona and went to a 35' Sonic. Now have a 38' Sonic.

I was getting pounded in the cat. I think it's because the Daytona model has a center pod that runs to the stern making the ride rougher than a true cat. I also thought that I'd use the cabin more which I did until I got married. (No more drunken sleep-overs at the bar) Now all I use the cabin for is throwing a cooler and a bag into.
Trailering the cat was also much easier. It was A LOT easier to actually get on the trailer and much lighter to tow.

Bottom line for me is I want the speed of a cat and will be buying one for my next boat.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.