Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Chrome Marine Alternator came apart last year. I pulled it out. Under the gun and only having a small window of opportunity to go boating I bought a single wire Auto alternator and installed the spark proof rear cover. Well it didn't charge the batteries. I learned that there is a exciter that needs to be ext iced. I read as much as I could find on the Internet and talking to a few marine techs. That say there is a difference between the two. You will blow the boat up, insurance wont cover the boat if it catches on fire, get it out now, etc. Well not having a lot of money I figured I would take both apart side by side. I think I can put the exicter assy. and all internals into the marine cases. Well with taking them apart they look to be exactly the same!? Whats the deal. Are people just worried about liabilities and are some just blindly giving advice. Or the Chrome universal Marine one wire Alt. is not really a Marine Alt. Are there any pros out there willing to tell the real story?

http://www.db-starter-alternator.co...RINE ALTERNATOR MERCRUISER 10SI-MARINE CHROME

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
I have never taken one apart but im betting there is little difference. If you were to catch fire and had a non marine alt it would be an easy way out for the insurance company.....

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I Know the liability issues. I just want the bare facts on the basic mech. and electrical differences between them both.. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
280 Posts
The spark arresting mesh on the back makes it a marine starter. also some other seals. You do not want it to be fully seal but if there is a spark or arc the mesh will allow it not to escape. think of it as semi-sealed.

I just bought one and have several friends that have bought from db-electrics

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thats the Marine Alt. that I have. I'm telling you by eye there is no difference between that alt and a car alt. internally. It looks exactly the same. There is not another shield inside. Bearings are the same, wiring and connections are the same. No special o-rings, nothing.

·
Registered
280 Posts
a standard auto does not have the outer marine basket on. you probably could dump auto guts in it but you need to use the basket

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Not quite sure what constitutes a (marine) alternator, but I have had good luck in the past with ARCO starters and alternators.

·
Registered
5,508 Posts
N'Mocean motorsport said:
I took a marine starter and a truck starter apart and found absolutely no differenece. I put a truck starter on and saved money
I THINK the only difference is the screen???

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok finially got it! I'm a big dummy. On the brush holders I had the bolts in the wrong location and I was grounding the brushes. It came to me putting my shoes on while telling my wife that I'm buying a new Alt. Now I have another hundred or so for fuel!!!! Thanks guys.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts