Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the recent finding of the transom rot issues, I think after 15 years of owning this boat, of which I have enjoyed less than 20 hours I am ready to part.

Is it worth selling whole, or should I part it out? I don't have unrealistic expectations, but I am tired of having to pay for gas in friends boats, I want my own.

http://www.h8tank.net/images/h8boat.jpg

New rebuilt 350 SBC with ZERO hours, just ran it on a hose, basically stock, rebuilt heads, BRAND spanking new Mallory marine distributor, coil and wires, engine is complete and sounds perfect. BRAND new rebuilt Quadra jet carb, etc.

It does have an OMC lower unit, but it was professionally rebuilt with all new gears, freshly serviced and has maybe 10 hours on it. ($2000 :()

New gimble bearing, new batteries, basically all new.

All the vinyl is brand new, but not currently in boat, it has been in the garage waiting for the project to end.

Brand new Revolution Marine manifolds, with 4" bent stainless pipe to brand new Hardin marine 4" tips with baffles.

Large galvenized trailer, like new black spoke rims steel, brand new 15" trailer radials, brand new wiring with all brand new lights/LED, new trailer jack.

After all the money I have dumped the past 12 months, now I get quotes to redo transom of $3k-5k... a bigger project than I can do alone. I am done.

Ideas?

·
Stokers Rule
4,387 Posts
Really tough call disassembled.

My thought is that there are two ways to get the most for your money.......
1) Part the boat out
2) Fix the transom and assemble the boat

With it all together and running you might find that old flame again :bigsmile: If not then that would be the most return on your money.

Good luck

·
Registered
833 Posts
I had the same problem with my last boat. The thing is, most of the time when there's a problem with the transom, it creeps into the stringers and floor. Now you're really into it for some $$$$. An estimate I got for my transom was almost $7000. I looked into what it would take to do it myself, and even bought a sheet of marine ply...but honestly, what a giant PITA, you're much better off getting out of it and starting over. What I did, was just blow it out on ebay with an honest description, and ended up doing pretty well. I originally paid $9500 for the boat, and sold it 4 years later w/advertised transom problems for $6500. Only lost 3K, but that's average depreciation, and I was forever rid of the hunk of junk. I took the profit and the money I would've spent on repair for a newer, much nicer boat with no rot- no regrets. Despite how nice it looked, I still got a survey this time around. Lesson learned!

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, if I take the engine and outdrive off, I got a quote of $1500 from this place: http://www.shorelineboatandrv.com/

I had already started advertising my engine and whatnot, but for a little more work and $1500 I could get it rebuilt professionally, they said they cut all the old wood out, and completely rebuild it, not some kind of epoxy or temp repair. A true, full transom rebuild.

Do I do it, or give up? :(

·
Registered
115 Posts
my opinion, move on, it's never " just the transom" always winds up being more than the original estimate. too many boats for sale to invest that much into an older rotten boat.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts