Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner

Do you and your spouse share banking accounts?

• My spouse and I share banking acconts.

Votes: 50 58.1%
  • My spouse and I have seperate banking accounts.

Votes: 36 41.9%
1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This came up in another thread and it's something that I am a little curious about. My wife and I share bank/checking accounts. I have a couple of friends that have completely separate accounts. One pays for a,b,& c while the other pays for x,y, and z....
I really never understood it and it sure would seem to complicate budgeting and money management. My one buddy definitely has the "this is mine and that is yours" attitude and I am sure that is why he does it that way.
Anyway, whats the breakdown? How many of you share vs having separate accounts from you spouses and why if you care to share? This is not a bash on anyone that has separate accounts, Just curious what the reasons are.

Vote in the poll above.

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
Another reason I got divorced.

If I had it to do over again I would have split the common bills (house, food, utilities, cable, phones, daycare, etc) then from there you pay for your car I'll pay for mine, you want to buy something go buy it. Instead I always had to remind her she had just drained the account and the bills weren't gonna get paid or I know longer had money to get lunch....

·
Registered
13,054 Posts
Hello...............I'm all over this.

Separate

·
Premium Member
27,558 Posts
separate is right - my ex-wife always complained about how I spent MY money - she was a checkbook nazi. after I got divorced I swore I would never subject myself to an internal auditor again!

I love my wife and she loves me and she doesn't expect to answer to me for every penny she spends, not do I to her.

and we love our separate accounts!

SEPARATE!
SEPARATE!
SEPARATE!
SEPARATE!

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
I just voted, was the second vote. I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that I will probably be in the minority by the time the numbers add up.

Joint accounts, always has been. Married her for the long haul. Best thing that ever happended to me. Plus, she stayed at home for the formidable years raising the kids.

I always tell her, your never goning to leave me, cause I'll chop you up in little pieces and throw you out back for the wild animals before that happens. :laugher:

·
Registered
13,054 Posts
Daddy's Girl said:
:laugher: :laugher: DAng Rick, U jumped on this thread. :laugher:
:laugher: :laugher: :laugher: And I haven't even started drinking yet. :D :winker:

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Joint and seperate....doesn't really work though, She's a stay-at-home mom!!! :)

Actually I put most of my money in our joint account (that I never see), and take some each week that goes into my "boat account". Anything I need for the truck or boat comes out of that money unless she needs a few extra bucks for some reason that week. Been 15 years and has never been a problem yet.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
My check goes straight to the joint account.
So does Sharon's.

She takes care of everything that HAS to be paid.
Mortgage, car payment, lights, credit card, grandson's college fund, etc.

Then cuts me a check for whatever is left over.

That goes to my personal checking account for savings & party fund.

It's worked for thirty years.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
GRH said:
Joint Accounts.... Seperate Accounts means Seperation is around the corner....

RJ... me too ;)
:laugher: Joint account here too.To much drama with mine your's and ours. Just Pay the damn bills and lets not fight over the change thats left .... :winker: Although the side job(mowing) money does pay for the boat and bike, but we both enjoy them.

·
You BLOT that schit!
2,692 Posts
I don't mean any disrespect to Jeff or anyone else on the separate thing, but I don't see the point.
My wife and I have shared an account since we were 16.5 years old. 15 years later I can count on one hand how many times either of us have bought something (other than the obvious necessities) without running it by the other. Could be as simple as, "I'm interested in this, or looking at this", no biggie.

I don't see any point in sharing a bed and not money.....regardless of who makes more or less.

·
I've Survived Everything!
12,273 Posts
Actually we have both. We have one checking account in both names and both have debit cards for that account. I am the only depositor into that account and I pay the couple of bills I have through that account but on occasion my wife will use the debit card for something she is picking up.

Mrs Ghart has her own checking account to which she only makes deposits and uses that account to pay her bills.

We both have a couple brokerage accounts that are not co-mingled.

We also both have individual ING money market accounts.

We both owned real estate prior to meeting and still have that real estate in separate names. I pay the costs related to my house, which we live in, and my wife still owns her condo and absorbs the costs associated with it.

My Avalanche is in my name and Mrs. Ghart's Honda Pilot is in hers.

The Formula is in my name only and I pay every cost involved with the boat.

I can appreciate both views on this subject but in our case we are both very independent people. Neither of us want to spend our money by committee! If we see something we want, we get it. We're both financially secure and have the good fortune of being able to afford what we have without strain.

Separate is the only way that works for us! :bigsmile:

·
Premium Member
12,363 Posts
The wife and I have been married 21 years. We have always had a joint account and it has always worked great for us. Besides, my wife makes about 2.5 times my income and I want a cut of her money ! :)

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
PJDiesel said:
I don't mean any disrespect to Jeff or anyone else on the separate thing, but I don't see the point.
My wife and I have shared an account since we were 16.5 years old.

Same here. Joint accounts all the way around since married 24 yrs ago @ 21 yrs of age. Everything we have is ours, paid with our money. There is no his and hers in our house, other than our clothes. But then she has been known to claim some of my tee shirts for cleaning rags.

It's a good thing too, since I spend more than she. I'd be broke and she'd be rich. ;)

·
Premium Member
12,363 Posts
I will say this ---- I got married at 21 and we basically "grew up" together and shared everything.

If I were to get divorced at start over, I may very well keep MY money to MYSELF. :)

1 - 20 of 121 Posts