Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
70,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm up in Toledo all week and decided to bring the boat. Can someone give me some boating tips for the Maumee River and or the western basin of Lake Erie? Good launches, spots, etc... Mucho Thanks! KC

·
Registered
181 Posts
First thing is you need to get a good chart or put the chip in your gps, there are a lot of shallow spots along the river and channel. All along the channel out to about can 32 or so there are dredging dumps on both sides, more so on the west side. Some of them you can see, some of them you can't and there have been more than a few boats up on them this year.

For launches there are at least three I can think of upriver, Perrysburg being the farthest but it is also the only one that is free to use. It's in Perrysburg off of Maple. The other one on the east side of the river is Rossford marina. Then there is Walbridge park on the west side, it is right by the Toledo Sailing Club. I think Rossford charges 10 bucks and Walbridge park is like 5 or something.

For places to go there are quite a few, usually The Docks downtown are pretty good on the weekends but this year they have been way down as far as boats. And if you drop in upriver and head downtown, the no wake area starts at the big suspension bridge, there is a big old freighter underneath it. Just look for the signs on the shore at either end of the no-wake, they will let you know. And if you miss the signs you can be rest assuered the coast guard, odnr or somebody else will be there to let you know and give you a 'courtesy inspection'.

Alot of people also run up to Clamdiggers in Monroe, its about a 20 mile cruise give or take or over to 'The Bilge' over in Anchor Point, its about a 10-15 miles cruise or something like that too from Toledo. There are also a few places to go up on the Ottawa River, The River Cafe, Webbers, good places for perch sandwiches. The Ottawa river can be a little tricky to get to from the channel if you're not familiar with the area but its not too bad.

I'll be up there this weekend unless I run over to Kelley's to watch the poker run, there are a few of us that try to run to one of those places every weekend, if you're gonna be in the area maybe a few of us can hook up and show you around some. Its alot of fun in the Toledo/SW Mich area, and if for some reason the lake is kicking there are still plenty of places to go in the rivers.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
Walbridge Park and Rossford Marina on the maumee for launching. Stay in the middle of the river south of I75. Maumee Bay is tricky untill you get out there aways. You will find a lot of help on great lakes offshore. If I knew where you wanted to go I would be a lot more help. How long you in for??? I will hopefully be out this weekend, I keep my boat at Pier 75 dry docks.

If your bored I am pouring the footer for my garage today at 3:30! :)

If you run into any problems or have any questions my cell number is 419-276-8007

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
If your here through the weekend PM me and you need to check out the hot-hole, you to dahn. Waters 90 degrees great place to hang. But you would need to follow someone in or you could run into trouble. Its on the south side of Monroe Power plant The two really tall smokestacks.

·
Registered
70,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks-I hope I can break free from works to get a little boating in sometime soon here. Things have been busier than I had anticipated. The "hot hole" sounds pretty cool. I've read a little about that on here in the past. Thanks for all of your advice!

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
where are you working? The docks on Friday nights is the place to be. The Bistro at the end has an out door bar and is a real good time!

·
Registered
70,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Working in the Walbridge area. I might be able to get out and check out the terrain a little this afternoon/evening. The Docks sound pretty cool- what's the deal there?

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
BajaBreeze said:
Working in the Walbridge area. I might be able to get out and check out the terrain a little this afternoon/evening. The Docks sound pretty cool- what's the deal there?
Just bar and resturants. The bistro gets going the best though. Right in the middle of downtown Toledo on the Maumee River. Can't miss it!

Earl, I am in the process of finally building my garage and haven't been out on the boat in over 2 weeks. Hopefully will be able to real soon. I told Brent that I would take him out to the hothole so we will be there one of these days. Are you still hitting it everyweekend? Doesn't Bob (redhot) get married this month???

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
yea, pretty much. Bob is getting married sometime this month. I will be out both days this weekend thinking about heading up the ottawa river to webbers or something saturday.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
BajaBreeze said:
Thanks for the info. ran over to PIB last evening and back and will probably checkout the Bistro tonight.
Was great to meet you Friday night. Hope you guys had a safe trip back!

·
Registered
70,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
danh63 said:
Was great to meet you Friday night. Hope you guys had a safe trip back!
It was great meeting you guys last Friday- the Docks was definitely cool! I'm looking forward to next time. Mucho Thanks!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts