Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning an engine build-up after this season and was wondering how much horsepower a stock Bravo One can reliably stand. I don`t have the budget to beef-up the drive along with the engine. I would like to use it as-is for now.
My engine will not be supercharged...

·
Premium Member
27,558 Posts
one thing to consider is also the weight of your boat.

If you're pushing 10,000 lbs through the water with 500 lb it's a lot tougher on an drive that pushing 2,500 lbs.

I've got a bravo mated to the 625 HP whipple charged 454 in 222 Stinger...but the Stinger only weighs 2,400 lbs...

- jeff

·
Premium Member
8,666 Posts
rated at 500,, but if you go over, geta shower ( should have anyway) ,, gentle out of the hole, and watch the wave hopping, and I have heard of them lasting at 700 hp,,, just dont be to supprised if you pop one sooner or later

·
Super Goon At Large
6,103 Posts
Wow what a power to weight ratio:D bet that little rascal is a hand full at times??????

JEFFJ said:
one thing to consider is also the weight of your boat.

If you're pushing 10,000 lbs through the water with 500 lb it's a lot tougher on an drive that pushing 2,500 lbs.

I've got a bravo mated to the 625 HP whipple charged 454 in 222 Stinger...but the Stinger only weighs 2,400 lbs...

- jeff

·
Registered
4 Posts
Run a drive shower, good drive oil, and dont hole shot it and peddle it through the rough stuff, and youll be fine, and if you want to be anul, change your drive oil every 25hrs. I ran 700hp through a box stock bravo, 4000lb boat and never had any problems:cool:

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
I agree with Panteraman. Went threw 3 stock Bravos on my last boat and it was only 550HP. learned eventualy how to treat it and maintain it. I,m a firm beleiver in changing the oil lots. Also instead of a drive shower Gaffrig makes what they call a Brav drive intercooler and claim 25 to 50 degre drop, My buddy has one, so far so good.

·
Premium Member
27,558 Posts
Anyone want to stop by my place this weekend and help me drill two 3/4 holes in the stainless steel Mayfair mounting plate so I can put a drive shower on my Sunsation?

I had it on as soon as I bought the boat but it came off when I had a dual ram Mayfair system installed. The dealer said he didn't have a 3/4" bit and was worried about drilling through stainless steel.

I'm going to the local Sears Hardware store tonight to pick up a drill bit. I'll make sure I get tungsten carbide or something really hard to drill through this stuff.

I've already measured and have the holes marked.

- jeff

·
Premium Member
8,666 Posts
I'm sure you know this Jeff,,, but your going to buy about 3 or 4 drill bits and work your way up to 3/4 inch right !!!???

1 - 9 of 9 Posts