Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone compare these props from real world experience?

My boat has been calculated to be at 18% slip at 59.5 mph at 5000rpm. Boat weighs 3800lbs.

I want more top end out of it.

Any recommendations?

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
I run 32P 4 blade bravo's.....changing the 5 blade props I dropped to 30P and saw virtually the same top end. At 3,000-3,500 the cruise speed was around 4 mph faster though!!!!

Typical rule of thumb is drop a pitch going from 4 to 5 blades and that topend isn't much different but low to mid range is greatly increased.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I ran a 32P Bravo 1 4blade and changed to a 28P Maximus 5 blade. Mercury racing says to go down 2 pitch sizes when going from a 4 to a 5 blade. The 28P Maximus gave me a better hole shot, faster mid-range, and about 1 or 2mph on top end running on the rev limiter. I called Mercury racing to have the 28P labbed and they recommended going to a 30P Maximus to lab to get off the rev-limiter. I changed to the 30P and had them labbed and now I have lost 300-400 rpm on top end, but my speed dropped maybe 1 mph. I still have a good hole shot and mid-range, but not happy with the top end. I should have stayed with the 28P. One thing to keep in mind with the 5 Blades is that they will bite harder and put a lot of torque on your drives when you land after coming out of the water. You need to back off the throttle to keep from loading up those drives.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow..

As Always, great info folks.

I think Im going to try the maximus out. Ill let you know my findings in contrast to the 23p mirage.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
IF you are running a 3 blade prop now you won't need a 5 blade.
At least try the BRAVO prop.
There are a lot of 4 blade BRAVOS around I find it hard to believe you can't find someone with one that you can try.

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
Just for schits and giggles I swaped my 30 labed 4 blade bravo last weekend, to my 26' Labed Hydro five blade. Came out of the whole with alot less slip and less effort. Mid range was alot stronger. I didn't check the top speed (I expect it to be down some) but the rpm was 5100 or so. The difference in handeling at the higher speeds was alot better too.

The down fall to this prop is alot more stress on the drive.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Canada Jeff said:
Just for schits and giggles I swaped my 30 labed 4 blade bravo last weekend, to my 26' Labed Hydro five blade. Came out of the whole with alot less slip and less effort. Mid range was alot stronger. I didn't check the top speed (I expect it to be down some) but the rpm was 5100 or so. The difference in handeling at the higher speeds was alot better too.

The down fall to this prop is alot more stress on the drive.
Go with the 4 blade first, that is a big jump from a 3-5 blade. I have full staggered engines and handling around the dock is not so great, but with the 5 blade it seems to have a little better manners around the dock. Also the fuel economy seems better, the boat cruises easier at mid to upper rpms. I just installed Smartcraft guages that calculate fuel useage, but I didn't have them with the Bravo 1's.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts