Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Speedwake said:
I owned a CLK430 for about 3 years - it's the CLK320 with a V8 and sweet bodywork.

overall they're great cars, until out of warranty work needs to be done - $$$ :dead: :dead:

30 mpg??? - not a chance....

Yea, I`m looking at 4-5 year olds, out of warranty, but I`m pretty good at spinning wrenches, plus I work for an auto parts supplier.
I was doubting the 30 mpg, but that`s just what one guy told me, but he was trying to sell the car. Go figure.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
DonMan said:
Yea, I`m looking at 4-5 year olds, out of warranty, but I`m pretty good at spinning wrenches, plus I work for an auto parts supplier.
I was doubting the 30 mpg, but that`s just what one guy told me, but he was trying to sell the car. Go figure.
Only two issues that I know of, transmissions have issues and repair can be timely (it's a mercedes, so costly as well)

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
I had one too. Nice car, but you don't want to own it out of warranty.
Mine had trans. issues "right" after I sold it. But it was in the shop alot for minor problems. Problems I would have hated to pay for.
30MPG? NO way!!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
It was beautiful car. Back then there were waiting lists a year long.
Now the only people you see driving them have gold chains, a gold toof, and their hat on sideways.

Attachments

·
Registered
549 Posts
They can have A/C Evaporator issues, it is a $2500.00 repair. As above, they are not a car to own out of warranty, they are ungodly expensive to fix, I have seen the faces on my customers faces when they get the quote.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have had 2 320s. One CLK and one C - wagon. I wouldn't buy another one but in general they do drive well for general commuting and highway trips. I've been through most of the stuff mentioned above - the most costly of which continues to be the A/C issues. Nothing is cheap on these things when (not if) things go wrong. I still have the 320 wagon and everytime I pass a dealership I think about trading it. Pretty sure I'm going back to Volvo, they are supposed to be releasing the newest version of the V-70R next year.

·
Premium Member
12,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the input guys. I think you`ve convinced me not to buy one that`s out of warranty.

I think I`ll just buy the wife a `73 VW Bug. Those are pretty simple and cheap to repair. :laugher:

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Hey if your looking for something kinda similar have you thought about the infinity G35.

Im a fan of the CLK's as well. The G35 to me seems to be fairly similiar. Not sure if they are good cars or not just curious if you thought about them....

·
Premium Member
12,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
axkiker said:
Hey if your looking for something kinda similar have you thought about the infinity G35.

Im a fan of the CLK's as well. The G35 to me seems to be fairly similiar. Not sure if they are good cars or not just curious if you thought about them....

The situation is --- my son will be getting his license soon and we are going to give him mom`s car. Therefore, the wifey gets a new ride. We are looking for something used.
She saw a CLK sitting on a parking lot with a for sale sign in the window. It`s a very nice car and she really likes the looks of it. With the info I`ve seen here. I think we will continue shopping.
I will check out the G35.

Mom`s current ride :

Attachments

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Bought the wife a 02' CLK430 Convertible back in 05'. Car now has about 60k on it, and it has been a ggod car. Her daily driver, and we use it regularly on the weekends. With the V8, it gets on average about 23mpg and thats all around. Can't say we have ahd any other issues other than routine maint.

·
Premium Member
27,558 Posts
Treads said:
Bought the wife a 02' CLK430 Convertible back in 05'. Car now has about 60k on it, and it has been a ggod car. Her daily driver, and we use it regularly on the weekends. With the V8, it gets on average about 23mpg and thats all around. Can't say we have ahd any other issues other than routine maint.
my 02 CLK430 was very reliable. I only had to replace the IAC ($760 parts and labor).

·
Registered
283 Posts
Just sold my wifes CLK500 cab a few months ago. It was fun to drive, had it up to 145 down the freeway. In south west Florida there is no reason to have a convertible (black on black) though and that was the only reason. Had not problems at all with it in 3 years, except that an oil change will run you 700.

·
Premium Member
27,558 Posts
bnboatn said:
Just sold my wifes CLK500 cab a few months ago. It was fun to drive, had it up to 145 down the freeway. In south west Florida there is no reason to have a convertible (black on black) though and that was the only reason. Had not problems at all with it in 3 years, except that an oil change will run you 700.
CLK500 is a beautiful car - I was torn between the CLK500 and the CL55 AMG last year when I was looking at 2004/2005 Benz's. Wound up with a 2004 CL55 AMG from Mercedes on Pompano - only has 28k miles on it. I love the car.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.