Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our family vacation this year will have us in Miami at the end of august for a few days before the cruise ship departs with us aboard. :D

Any suggestions on some things to see and do for the family??
the kids are only 8,6,4. They love the outdoors, and things nature like. dolphins, fish, etc. etc.
Good attractions, and shopping for the wife??

Whats some good eats for reasonable family meals??

What about boating atttractions?!!? this is around August 20-25th.. Gonna be hot im sure.. Any places to rent a runabout boat for the day?

Thanks!

·
Registered
283 Posts
You may want to take a trip west to the everglades. You can take the family on a airboat ride which just about every one enjoys. For a boat rental you may want to head a little south to Key Largo where you can choose from either the Gulf of Mexico or the big water. If you do not wish to travel to far there are plenty of marinas that will rent out boats.

For dinner you can travel to coconut point and have a blast.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Do you know exactly what part of town you'll be staying those days? Will you have access to a car, or willing to rent?

There's the Miami Seaquarium on Key Biscayne. I haven't been there in ages so I don't know what it's like these days. You could also make a trip down to the Keys. Depending where you go, maybe an hour and a half drive to get to some "touristy" attractions.

·
Registered
9,208 Posts
I never associated Miami and "family" together..
Last few times we were there seems we travelled to do all the "fun" things

·
Registered
115 Posts
I'm with JB on this one. I would not really call the strip area of miami a family hangout. don't get me wrong I'm sure there are things for families to do but, not in the downtown area.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
handfulz28 said:
Do you know exactly what part of town you'll be staying those days? Will you have access to a car, or willing to rent?

There's the Miami Seaquarium on Key Biscayne. I haven't been there in ages so I don't know what it's like these days. You could also make a trip down to the Keys. Depending where you go, maybe an hour and a half drive to get to some "touristy" attractions.
We are staying in Miami Beach, at the Ganesvoort (SP?) hotel..?? We will be renting a car.. Actually, i need to call some of the car rentals today.. We are flying in to Ft.Laud. and need to get to Miami beach. It seems renting a car at Ft.L airport, but returning it 5 days later in Maimi is much more expensive than renting and returning it right in Miami. So we need to fina way to get 2 adults, 3 kids, and luggage to Maimi.. :laugher:

I'll look into the Seaquarium.. the kids love 'em, and it will give them some info on the local water's fish population.. Maybe thats not a good idea, they wont want to go swimming! :laugher:

I was realy thinking of driving to the keys, but one of our cruise stops is in Key West... dont know if its worth the drive for a day..???

Thanks for the info thus far!

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Speedwake said:
Solid Platinum - fun for the entire family !!! :laugher: :laugher: :laugher: :laugher:
Ok, fill me in?!?!?! Solid Platinum???????

something tells me your joking..........
:D :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
283 Posts
You may want to check into the yellow air taxi about flying to Key West. The flight would be 30 minutes instead of a 4 hour drive.

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
eyeinstine said:
Ok, fill me in?!?!?! Solid Platinum???????

something tells me your joking..........
:D :D :D :D :D
Sounds like a shaker joint to me .

email Tom about rentals. he may be able to give you some insight.

·
Registered
158 Posts
eyeinstine said:
We are staying in Miami Beach, at the Ganesvoort (SP?) hotel..?? We will be renting a car.. Actually, i need to call some of the car rentals today.. We are flying in to Ft.Laud. and need to get to Miami beach. It seems renting a car at Ft.L airport, but returning it 5 days later in Maimi is much more expensive than renting and returning it right in Miami. So we need to fina way to get 2 adults, 3 kids, and luggage to Maimi.. :laugher:

I'll look into the Seaquarium.. the kids love 'em, and it will give them some info on the local water's fish population.. Maybe thats not a good idea, they wont want to go swimming! :laugher:

I was realy thinking of driving to the keys, but one of our cruise stops is in Key West... dont know if its worth the drive for a day..???

Thanks for the info thus far!
Check into the airport shuttles. I don't recall the exact names/contact info, but that might work for you.

Not sure how long you are in Key West, but there's a difference between Key West and say visiting Key Largo. In KW you could spend the whole time meandering around, riding the Conch Train, etc. You might never get in the water. Key Largo is where you can go snorkling, maybe do some other things, and it's an easy 1.5hr or less drive. I'd bet there's no overlap in your KW shore excursion and a trip to Key Largo.

As I think of more stuff, I'll share it here...

·
Registered
283 Posts
If you are traveling to Key West for the first time, I must note it is not a kid friendly town when the sun goes down. People like me and few others having a few sodas and getting out of control. Check out Irish Kevins if you do go.

·
Registered
8,316 Posts
eyeinstine said:
Now that would be cool as chit ?!!!!! Is that even possible?? I know some of the bigger names do it, but would Pantera?? :)
Yes they will,

Call Jo, or Pepe at the factory, and tell them you are a speedwake member, thye give tours all the time, great guys.

·
Registered
8,316 Posts
While in Key West, have lunch at Fogartys, great Burgers, family friendly, and they have the frozen drink machines like Fat tuesdays :D , you can also rent a waverunner and run around in the harbor in key west, check out Sebago tours

1 - 17 of 17 Posts