Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just to let you guys know if you followed my "engine underwater thread" I have had the boat out 3 times and it is doing well, no major problems.... yet, but to a new quanundrum...............

The boat is a 233LS formula with a 350 and an alpha one: with a 21 3blade ss it runs 46mph at 4100rpms, with 1 person in it or 8.

with a 19 3 blade ss it runs 46mph at 4500-4600rpms, with 1 person in it or 8. However it get up on plane ALOT quicker.

What gives.......slip? This is not GPS rated, sorry. I am going to try a buddy's 23 prop this week and see what it does. Also from idle to WOT there is a hesitation or dead spot in the engine that you can feel and hear, is this a carb problem or should I do routine check of fuel filter and other things??

Thanks guys. :bigsmile:

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
No, it is not slip related, its weight related. Notice you are turning MORE RPM with the lower pitch prop and going the same speed then with the higher pitch prop.

I'm not sure where your boat should run (RPM Wise) but I would bet 4100 is too low and 4600 is more like it. Keep the 19 pitch on there and forget about the 23 pitch your buddy has.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Ditto to above. Keep the 19 on there. 4600 is perfect for that motor (4200-4600) What model 19 SS? You may be able to improve on that prop and keep the pitch.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not sure on the model # have to check, so how would I go about getting more mph out of the ol' boat. Just upgrade the SBC to get more horsepower........ then whullla faster speed?

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
more horsepower equals the ability to turn a higher pitch prop, higher pitch prop will make the boat move faster

In general thats the theory anyway

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
thats just about average on how fast those boats run. they are an older, heavy design. you need to put 400+ hp in them to get them into the mid - upper 50 mph range. then you start replacing alphas.

I did all of this and then decided that trading it in on a newer, faster hull with BBC / Bravo combo was much easier and cheaper in the long run.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
MarkyMark, that is what I was thinking, this boat is a tanker, by the time I would put a BBC in there and a Bravo, might as well buy a newer boat.

Up_RokToy, Good simple explanation for me, I might try to squeeze out a couple more horses out of her.

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
Doc14 said:
MarkyMark, that is what I was thinking, this boat is a tanker, by the time I would put a BBC in there and a Bravo, might as well buy a newer boat.

Up_RokToy, Good simple explanation for me, I might try to squeeze out a couple more horses out of her.
I try to keep it simple (stupid) KISS LOL :laugher:

You want a faster boat, buy a faster BOAT, it will come with a motor. Don't throw money at something that was never intended to go 90 mph, you will just end up frustrated.

It's not like a car where you can make it handle better with new suspension, better tires, shocks, bigger motor, brakes, etc.

Its a hunk of fiberglass, you can only do so much for it in the way of set up (props, drive height, trim, etc) before your spending WAY Too much money. Not to mention the amount of horsepower it might take to get it there.

Enjoy it for what it is (a quick boat with a good ride) and have fun on the water. When it's time to go FAST find the right hull.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts